NVA Cubix

All things NVA
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA Cubix

Unread post by Ronin »

That's good news then :dance:

I guess,it's the case of , it's your "ears and room" and not Doc's so,you're in a better position to judge ;)

I think I've got something similar ( to my ears) to your Epos ES22's, they are the Mordaunt short Classic MS40's designed by Robin Marshall .

But I think they could do with a better (more Powerful) amplifier than my Vintage AP20.

I think the Doc once said "Two bass mid drivers in parallel means a horrible load for smaller amps" :(

I think the amp is safe enough (not getting hot) but it does lack a bit of Omph!

I can't afford the bigger NVA amps so I was thinking about NAD :think:

I'll probably put this question out on the general forum.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not my advice, that was to use your ears and get them to work in the room. It is a fiddly process but teaches you a lot about acoustic synergy, because you can apply it to any speaker but not to the same extreme results.
Yes apologies. It's starting to be fun - don't think, just play and see what works. Maybe I'll try a bit further forward tonight.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ronin

If yer strapped for cash, the webs yer pal......
but instead o a bigger amp consider more sensitive speakers......
best o luck.
jammy.

terrybooth
Great Britain

jammy395 wrote:Ronin

best o luck.
jammy.
Hear, hear. I'm sure you can do better than NAD for less money. That's certainly how I found NVA.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Ronin wrote:Hi terryboth,

been following your thread with interest.

Did you step back to the epos?

What Talk Talk album were you referring too.Is it Colour of Spring-if so,how does the piano sound ?

Cheers,

Ronin

PS,hope you don't mind the questions ;)
Having revived this a couple of times I think that the album - good as it is - suffers from production. It's been assembled rather than played. So maybe you' re trying to get something out of it that basically isn't there ( like people who think that Whole lotta love has bass). Enjoy it for what it is, not what you think it might be.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

No,, Listen up folk's, the album ( Talk Talk - The colour of Spring ) does not suffer from any production gremlin's. (well no more than most of that era), :naughty:
It sounds sweet as a nut (haunting) when played on mine......?
Therefor I can only assume yer system's just aint grabbin it by the horns....so to speak.....!!!!
Ive never heard it sound so good, since ive assembled my NVA set up this month.....
Strange ....Discuss.
Jammy :hand:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Not saying it sounds bad. Just that it is what it is, recorded when it was. Personally, I prefer the product of producers before and since sonically, not to take anything away from Talk Talk, who made wonderful music.

terrybooth
Great Britain

OK. The cubixes have just turned Melody Gardot's 'Some Lessons' from a decent song to something more autobiographical. I think they may be digging out more musical stuff.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

jammy395 wrote:Ronin

best o luck.
jammy.
I appreciate what you are saying jammy but, it's kind of a mine field out there regarding sensitivity .To me it's not all what it seems :think:

I know a lot of people go on about Audio Note speakers being sensitive,but to my ears they are no better than mine :confusion-shrug:

I've had a pair of ANE's in my room which I didn't like,to much in-yer-face ,no finesse ,very tiring to listen to.

Over the years I've also listen to numerous other so called sensitive speakers from Triangle,Dali ,and a few others I can't re-call but still prefer the openness (especially in the midband) and the lack of directionality (is that even a word :!: ) of my Mordaunt Short's.

OK,if I said;whats the ideal speaker in terms of ease of drive for my AP20,what would you say?

Should I post these questions elsewhere.I feel Like I'm "high-jacking" this thread now :oops:

Cheers Guys for your interest.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

What amp did you listen to the AN's with? They are voiced for valves so may sound tiring with some SS amps.