Tuners / Radios ... ?

All general audio posts go here.
phil66
Been thanked: 0
Austria

Tuners / Radios ... ?

Unread post by phil66 »

Listening often to one of my tuners I wonder why no one here in the forum tells about his/hers experience with the medium radio ....
In my system radio mostly sounds much better than eg. CD ..... specialy dynamics, soundsstage , much more believable ! ...even if I use a Eclipse 101 CD player !?
I use an Onkyo T-4700, a Hitachi 5500MkII, a Studer(Revox) A-176 , and some others tuners.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tuners / Radios ... ?

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi Phil66
Yep im afraid Radio's seem to have gone out of fashion this while back - and IMHO DAB is a bit naff...Could be the reception up here though.... :think:
Fondly remember my Granda listening to his old school valve Grundig.....sound seemd great back then........... :dance:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Some nice old school reciever's here....Blimey they liked large case work back then............... :clap:
Bloke in the pic looks rather smug though......
Nice revievers...!!!.jpg
Nice revievers...!!!.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

shevans

Unread post by shevans »

The radio or tuner is on in our house more than any other source, I have a NAD FM/DAB/internet tuner and the quality of both the FM and DAB broadcasts are very good. A wide rage of music and best of all FREE.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've got a Sony ST-SDB900 DAB/FM/AM tuner and a midi sized Teac T-H300 DAB/FM/AM tuner, and they both love NVA sound cords. I couldn't believe how much better they both sounded when I swapped my original (QED QUNEX 2) leads for the sound cords. Classic FM gets a good bashing when I'm not listening to CDs or vinyl, and of course Radio 5 Live and 5 live Extra for the footy/rugby/cricket/tiddly-winks commentaries - without all the whistling and burbling that used to accompany them, courtesy now of DAB.

I've always had tuners of one sort or another and I still wouldn't contemplate a "complete" setup without one. Loads of music etc, and as shevans remarked above, it's all free. Also, don't forget you can listen to most radio stations online too, also for free albeit at a pretty compromised quality in most cases.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Rubbish reception where I am ,that's my reason :( .I did try though,put up a 5 element aerial on a 15 foot pole but to no avail :x .I've still got the A&R Cambridge in the loft somewhere.

Helge Gundersen
Norway

Unread post by Helge Gundersen »

I have an old Kenwood KT-1100 tuner which have been modified in the audio and power departments by someone in Germany (before I bought it). But I have cable reception, which sometimes is a bit weak here (but otherwise good). My bedroom stereo is radio only (Onkyo T-407), and although I have cable radio there, too, I for the most part use a simple T-aerial placed near the window. I would have had a proper roof aerial (for both locations) if I had a detached house instead of a flat. Still sounds pretty good, though. A Tivoli Model One sits on the kitchen bench. I only get Norwegian channels on all of this.

I hear Internet radio with headphones on my computer, but now I've added Airport Express to my stereo, which I have mainly used for Internet radio so far. The Norwegian state broadcasting unfortunately plan on quitting FM for DAB in a few years, but Internet radio seems to be the real alternative for stereo systems.

The most serious state-broadcasting channels sound great, and they broadcast some well-done live recordings/performances. I keep to Norwegian and Swedish radio, or else I'll go nuts. (Is there any worthwhile jazz on the BBC?) It's a bit frustrating that I don't get enough time to listen to my CDs and records, one of the reasons being there's so much on the radio which I "have to" catch while it's there. Maybe I'll attach my old NAD CD player to Tivoli's single speaker in the kitchen (I'll probably end up with upgraditis and active mini monitors or seomthing like that).

On my Mac I have Radioshift, which also can be set to recording a later broadcast. I also have Audio Hijack Pro, which can record anything.