My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Thanks guy , i havnt yet played around with positioning [ decorating and a succession of nativities :o ] but i did put them in the bay window , maybe little to far apart ?

as for injuries ,come on soldering irons only burn and arent they compulsory for all diy'ers :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Burns are occupation hazard, but the worst is dropped melted solder. I get it all over me trooosers and shoes, a bit like hash burns (now that labels me an old hippy ;) )

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

Funny,i never saw you as an old hippy Doc,,Join the club,i have hash burns on my legs from when i used to spend the winter in Morocco in the 70's. :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

wallace wrote:Funny,i never saw you as an old hippy Doc,,Join the club,i have hash burns on my legs from when i used to spend the winter in Morocco in the 70's. :mrgreen:
Don't you know we're riding on the Marrakesh Express, they're taking me to Marrakesh........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzB5eRu6HOk .......blowing smoke rings from the corner of my mouth (7 skin joint :obscene-smokingjoint: )

Daniel Quinn

Okay , so I managed to get a couple of hours with my still dissapointing hifi. Set the speaker up to the tv to run the speakers in and moved them out of the bay window to either side of fire place ,some 7 feet apart . This was better , watching darts last nite there was a palable sense of the atmosphere of the crowd and the beginings of stereo soundstage.

I did however open the speakers up [ diamond 10.3] and what a horror show.
pcb crossover :o :hand:
tag none soldered connections to drive units :doh:
none copper metal junction connections where the speaker wires enter the speaker base .
poor bracing of the cabient and little damping .
Cheap bi-polar capacitors in the crossover

All threse things are throttling the beautiful signal from my TT so I will be undertaking the following modifications and will report back .

1. series wiring
2. removeal of all binding tags .
3. removing the binding post on the outside of the cabinent
4. put the crossover pcb in the bin
5. removing the mid/bas crossover and running one piece of speaker cable from amplifier direct to mid/bass driver - soldered direct on the cone leads
6. simple resistor/capacitor crossover on tweeter , hard wired and soldered to 2nd set of speaker wires with audiophile capacitor .
7. bitumen the sides of the cabinent , adding internal bracing , removing the acoustic foam and blocking the port [ the latter is the only modification subject to experimentation and listening tests]

Question , when i did this previously , the speaker stats were known to me and all drivers had the same sensitivity [91db] , so balancing the volume for the drive units was simple enough. This time i have no idea what the sensitivity of the drive units are . There is a resistor on both the tweeter and the mid/bass currently , is there are way of calculating what resistor value i will need on the tweeter on the new simple crossover, from the two resistors currently employed on the tweeter and woofer , bearing in mind the current bass resistor will be discarded ? Do i simply half the value of the current tweeter resistor to account for the untenuated [?] mid/bass driver or is that to simple /

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Oh dear. Dan's back to DIY. Has anyone alerted casualty? :D
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Image Image Image

Daniel Quinn

Jammy , next time your reading this thread could you please compose a suitable Jammy response to Mr Booth and the Doc for me . ta very much :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

It doesn't look like you are gonna get a helpful reply Dan,and you won't get one from me,suck it and see mate..I am still busy messing about with crossovers and i can't quite get the sound i want.Still it keeps me out of the pub.How's domesticity getting on. :pray:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1