Interesting Twist!

All things NVA
Yomanze
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Interesting Twist!

Unread post by Yomanze »

Well it arrived today, usual excellent NVA service, itching to get home and try it! Will report back on first impression & also when I've given things time to settle.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Unsettled views and then reports as it changes are more fun. I really like the warm up / run in process, it even helps me understand the circuit more, and importantly perhaps it will help prove the process exists to the nay sayers.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Was a bit of a faff wiring things up, but happy that Joe Ackroyd decided to replace his soldered link between HF & LF speaker terminals with lugs & bolts in my RR3s.

Upon first listen I knew something was wrong, and a quick left / right speaker test confirmed that one of the power amps had the channels reversed on the speaker cable.

First impressions are "wow this sounds a lot more different than I expected", more transparency with the NVA P90sa, but better dynamics with the LFD. However I have *a lot* more volume control available to me, turning it around 12PM and beyond whereas the LFD's really getting going around the 9PM position, so it could be a symptom of this, need to listen more. I have been noticing the NVA becoming more "relaxed" (not laid back, just sounded a bit "up tight" at first compared to the LFD) and dynamic as it burns in with perhaps a little hint of edge disappearing through the night.

As there are so many variables (passive vs. active, biamping vs. single amps, speaker cable & interconnect changes) it's difficult to pin down what is doing what.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Night two the HiFi was looking a bit ramshackle with the preamp edging out into the bottom left of the shelf (spot the preamp on the 2nd shelf down? :P) and the 2nd amp on a small stack of records beneath the turntable to accommodate the too short interconnects to the PA0 (SE).

My 1m interconnect arrived today, so things are tidied up now, so what do I think about the P90sa? It is even more transparent than my LFD DLS, which is bloody transparent in itself. The soundstage becomes more recessed and a feeling of listening into the music rather than with the LFD DLS, which is much more projected into the room, more dynamic, but also manages to be just as or more natural with harmonics, timbres and decays. I have decent RCA splitters on the way to try biamping with the DLS, so will be able to make a proper comparison soon. Some would prefer the P90sa for it's utterly hear-through quality with little to no colouration, but some people do prefer active preamps and are willing to take a slight penalty with transparency. The DLS does have a bit of 'tube warmth' about it (uses opamps though), but with shocking dynamics at all volumes.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

My 1m interconnect arrived today, so things are tidied up now, (Yomanze).

Glad to hear it Yomanze............ :clap: ;) :lol:

Glad you like yer new passive as well. :dance: