AP10H

All things NVA
alfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

AP10H

Unread post by alfer »

I have been using my AP10H in earnest this weekend for the first time and boy the music just flows into my phones.

Excellent amp Doc
AtoZ

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AP10H

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I hope I'll be corrected if wrong here, but good power amps of 10W upwards may well make excellent headphone amps as long as they're quiet with low distortion when driven lightly. I have a couple of Crown D-60's of old used just for this purpose (one I bought cheap and 'restored it' as the signal wiring had been messed with and t'other was recently given to me) and they sound fantastic used this way (I believe the lower power D-40 was used just for this in studios at one time, zillions of years ago).

Why so many audiophools mess around with low powered chip thingies (not even T-Amp power) is beyond me...

P.S. The Crowns couple the headphone socket directly to the output stage with no resistance in between as is usual...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: AP10H

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I could tell you how to convert any amp into a better headphone amp than the ones normally built in - BUT sorry don't think I will. I could show you by getting that AP20 back and putting a headphone socket on it - the cost of doing it is £30 and it will sound like the AP10h with headphones. BUT you have to have speakers running as well, if you don't want them you have to take out one speaker lead per ch.