C'mon - Yer first HiFi......?

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C'mon - Yer first HiFi......?

Unread post by Sovereign »

applemarc wrote:Sansui SR-222 with ortofon cartridge a sony intergrated amp but I was using the pre out into a Exposure power amp and a BIG pair of Leak speakers. I was in a trafic jam somewhere in south london and happened to look in a secondhand shop window and saw this Exposure Amp for sale for £75.00 I had just read a review about the Expsoure amps and there was one so I pulled over and bought it I did not know how to get it to work just thought I should but it. I kept that amp for years only sold it to get one of 3 Dual regulated IV’s I went to Exposure's little shop in Hove to buy a new preamp they told me to wait for a week as they had a new preamp out which I think was the VII listened to the Exposure active system and that as they say was that. I ended up with a full Exposure Active system over the next few years I thought it sounded better than the Naim one.
I was an avid Expo fan for years....till I stumbled across NVA :D

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I think I lost my way and bought in order
Audio Research LS2b and 2 x V140
Then changed the V140’s for a pair of Jadis JA500’s
The changed the LS2b for a Jadis JP80 pre
Then changed the Jadis JP80 for another Audio Research
Changed the Jadis JA 500’s for a Krell
Got ride of the Krell with two months for Another Audio Research which then exploded and went back to Audio Research.
Bought and Pass labs XO pre amp and x600 power amps
The change the Pre amp to my present Manley Steelhead
Changed the Pass Labs X600 for a Conrad Johnson power amp
Finally found NVA and bought the TDS’s
And have now ordered a TCS/TAS so I can sell my Manley Steelhead.

And that’s just the amp’s
Beresford Caiman Ipod

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

The first system i recall was;Leak Truspeed Transcription Deck with Shure V15 cart,Trio KA 4002 Amp and some big Heathkit speakers with two Kef B139 bass units.
I was probably listening to Zoot Sims,and my other half to Shirts(Bonzo Dog Doo Da Band) As it happens i think we listened to both last night.40 years and a couple of grand later,nothing much seems to have changed although if i heard it now it would sound crap,maybe?? :think:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Sovereign wrote: I was an avid Expo fan for years....till I stumbled across NVA :D
As you know, I've also done both. They have remarkably similar characteristics: they don't add anything to the music. All you can ask for really.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

c1973 Connoiseur BD1, Shure M75ED (I think), Heathkit Tuner, Quad ESL 57s. Deck replaced by a Michell Hydraulic Reference (which was probably a retrograde step), SME 3009 Fixed head, Shure V15 (which I still have, I think).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I was always mucking around building stuff, first was early 60's converting some of my Dad's old Trix PA system (he had a semi pro dance band - Dick Dunn and his dance band :mrgreen: ) and adding it to a old radiogram to convert it to stereo. But my first shop bought stuff was when I was working in a shop on Tottenham Ct Rd. Sansui AU101 amp, Pioneer PL12ac turntable with Shure M75ed cart, and Pioneer headphones (later Goodmans Magnum K2 speakers).

Cooler King

Unread post by Cooler King »

Ohh a trip down the old lane of memory....
Systemdek IIX/RB250/AT95e
Cyrus One
Rogers LS6
Man I loved that system, first disc was Genesis, Abacab. I didn't know how loud to turn it up and nearly gave my dad a heartattack! :lol:

Helge Gundersen
Norway

Unread post by Helge Gundersen »

Luxman integrated, tuner and cassette deck with some three-way (I think) KEF speakers on short stands. Lenco turntable. CD had been launched some five years earlier, but I didn't buy any player until 1994 (NAD 5500).

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

In 1979, aged 14...

BSR BDS95 turntable/Shure M75EJ
Sugden A21
Celestion Ditton 15's

The BSR soon got replaced by an SR222 Mk2/Grado F3E+ and this little lot kept me very happy for nearly 5 years.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Oooo - fancy starting out with a Sugden A21! :clap:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)