hardwired Balanced Mains Transformer install

A place for DIY project discussions.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: hardwired Balanced Mains Transformer install

Unread post by selby »

As a complete novice when it comes to this stuff, would a recommended setup be to install a "Conditioning Balanced Power Supply" something like a CBS2000 and then to plug in a AG Regenerator such as an AG500 or AG1500?

My property is a new build, but not sure if that makes any difference to the quality of the power coming out the sockets.

Buying and installing solutions like this seem fairly hardcore, is the benefit really that good? Or are people only hearing a difference because they "think" they should hear one as they've just spent £500+ on the upgrade.

As it stands I think I'd be tempted to buy a AG500 in the future, but just trying to understand the real world benefits, especially as more boxes equal more arguments with the missus to why you need them!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Gaz: cheers for that. I've now seen the hard wired versions on the site as well. Thanks for the plug and pkay advice. I think that's more suited to my needs. I'm going to be spending most of the Winter back in the UK, so I'm putting one on my Xmas list!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The jury is still out on regen v balanced, few have compared or used in unison, really we need Sov, who has both, to start giving us some feedback, or if he can't put it in words then get a couple of us around for a bake-off.

selby

Unread post by selby »

How would you recommend to connect a NVA amp to the AG500, directly via a IEC cable (mod) to one of the 6 sockets? Only I think NVA amps come with the mains/plug cable wired directly inside the amp don't they? Or would people recommend plugging in an IEC 4 Gang extension lead and then just plug the amp into that? I see the AG1500 has a single UK plug socket on the back.

If anyone has either balanced or regen I'd be really interested to come and have a listen at the improvement they make.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

AG500 has 13amp sockets so just plug the amp into it.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Doesn't it have 6 x IEC outlets so you can't simply plug in a standard plugged power cable. The cable would need to be changed to an IEC cable.

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You can order them with schuko or UK 13 amp or IEC as far as I know.

I am at a loss why some people seem to be unable to put a mains plug on a bit of leads. Cut the old plug off if it is fixed, strip back the outer cover by a couple of inches, strip back the cores by about 5mm, buy a plug, brown goes to pos blue to neg and yellow / green to earth, screw terminals.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

selby wrote:As a complete novice when it comes to this stuff, would a recommended setup be to install a "Conditioning Balanced Power Supply" something like a CBS2000 and then to plug in a AG Regenerator such as an AG500 or AG1500?

My property is a new build, but not sure if that makes any difference to the quality of the power coming out the sockets.

Buying and installing solutions like this seem fairly hardcore, is the benefit really that good? Or are people only hearing a difference because they "think" they should hear one as they've just spent £500+ on the upgrade.

As it stands I think I'd be tempted to buy a AG500 in the future, but just trying to understand the real world benefits, especially as more boxes equal more arguments with the missus to why you need them!
I have a BPS and I paid nothing for it as it is on loan, and I heard a MASSIVE difference on my hifi.
As you suggested I also have a AG1500 regen and run them both together to great effect.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes - AND!!!

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

AND.....the effect is bloody marvellous ! Iv'e not got round to swopping the order of the AG1500 and the BPB or running the BPS on it's own, been way too busy but I will do one day soon