Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Macca »

jammy395 wrote:Yet again :doh: the bog standard techie 1210 needs no fukin upgrading. :twisted: its a fine TT at its price point.

If you feel it requires upgrading - You've bought the wrong turntable. :shifty: (Buy a better TT)
I agree with the first point. But you are looking at about a grand for a new old stock example now so they are no longer cheap. I remember when they were £350 new. Not seen what they go for used recently but it was about £200 for a decent one.

Second point I think upgrading the deck will improve it just as you can improve anything that was not perfect and built cost no object to begin with. And if you do decide to buy a 'better' TT what do you go for assuming you want the benefit of Direct Drive? An SP10 I suppose but that is a couple of £K used now. Otherwise get Lenco GL75 and.. errr..modify it. Of course if you want something pretty with lots of wood and have £5K to spend then the world is your oyster but I am not sure I would bother even if I could afford it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

NAS Spacedeck is a personal fave and the Heavy Kit 'upgrade' isn't necessary for many cartridges IMO.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Macca wrote:
jammy395 wrote:Yet again :doh: the bog standard techie 1210 needs no fukin upgrading. :twisted: its a fine TT at its price point.

If you feel it requires upgrading - You've bought the wrong turntable. :shifty: (Buy a better TT)
I agree with the first point. But you are looking at about a grand for a new old stock example now so they are no longer cheap. I remem ecent one.

Second point I think upgrading the deck will improve it just as you can improve anything that was not perfect and built cost no object to begin with. And if you do decide to buy a 'better' TT what do you go for assuming you want the benefit of Direct Drive? An SP10 I suppose but that is a couple of £K used now.
Is that how much for a NOS 1210 and Sp10 respectively now?, :o
I had a chance of a fully working SP10 with the power supply all in working order in a console for £450.00,
i agreed at first but reneged as my Garrard 401 was working a dream and a 301 waiting to be fixed up in a plinth,
should've gone ahead and bought as the buyer wasn't too far away in Irvine. :evil:
Frank...made me do it.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Yes about £2K in perfect condition in a good plinth. You should have bit his arm off for it :lol:

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Thanks jammy for starting my very own pinkies ramble. I'll post properly tomorrow but I've been hedge trimming all day and I'm rubber-ducked. If I was a horse they'd shoot me.
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hedge trimming :? haven't you got a wife :mrgreen: mine wont let me near the garden in case I ferk it up :D

Oldpinkman

Nice idea - but Sue was on "clearing to bonfire" duty using the garden tractor and trailer. The hedge is 120m of roadside mature hedge, which had been neglected for at least 15 years. It is full of brambles creepers and hawthorn. Some of the "suckers" I cut out, were over 20ft high and had "stems" 3 inches in diameter. I used a petrol hedge trimmer a bit, but mostly hand loppers and a petrol chainsaw. Not one for the ladies :D
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Oldpinkman

I see Jammy has turned my private empire into a Techipedia. This means we have to clear the air a bit over an earlier post of mine - and leaves me wondering whether someone will need to cut this post out and put it back on the AOS thread. Last we spoke, I told Jammy the stock Sl1200 was "shiite". And I wasn't referring to a Muslim sect. That was a "heat of the moment" response to a shill-bashing. I meant it was "dull".

Now, before you paint your face blue and swarm over the border with your mates wearing blankets and skirts, picking up Macca en route for an assault on the Garden of England, :violence-fencing: I would note that I called an arm desgined by a mate, and which has Il duckie slavering and drooling as "dull". It's a relative term. I'll come back to what I really think of it in another post. But I kinda agree with Jammy. Great unit for the price. If you want better, buy something else instead of spending 3 times as much building it as a kit. It's the classic "steam engines of bygone years" magazine stunt. First edition £2, all 214 subsequent editions £6.99, and you end up with a lot of unwanted reading building your model steam engine for £1500 when you could have bought a better one for £300 from a model shop.

The real point of this post is Marco sent me a PM agreeing with me. Frustratingly I can't find it atm. It said something to the effect of "as you pointed out to that Scottish herbert the standard turntable is "not exactly audiophile" quality". I take it that meant Marco agreed it was shiite. Whatever my faults Jammy, I don't devote my life to conning people into buying a TT which I consider poor, so that I can steer them through an expensive upgrade path buying the kit for the real deal from my mate with the mains cables... :whistle:

I'm not sure "herbert" was the exact term he used... :mrgreen:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Hope I'm not contradicting myself here, but the techie in standard form IS a fine turntable, limited only by the fact that thirty five? years after the stock design was signed off, some more thinking has been applied to vinyl reproduction in general and, whatever 'you lot' say, we can thank digital for that, as good digital shows vinyl the way to go as vice versa, vinyl showed where early DOMESTIC digital (highly compromised in the early days over pro stuff) went wrong, in my opinion and with some experience. At least the little tweaks aren't silly money.

If I didn't have the Dual 701, I think I'd be very happy with a 1210 techie. You certainly got a lot for the money for £350 or so, fine for fixed coil cartridges as supplied. My first SL1500 didn't sound too hot, but the second one did once I'd applied a few things I'd learned first time round. :)

The Pink stuff does have a lighter touch though, but again, a lot of listening goes on there...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Both good posts ^^ Richard and Dave, i like the 'build a steam engine'' mag analogy of the Techie path, very well put,
must say i am liking the vibe in this room already. :D

p.s. Shiite is fine, it's just an elongated 'shite', :mrgreen: it's when we tangle with Shi'ite, then we're in trouble. :?