Cube Speaker Stands?

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cube Speaker Stands?

Unread post by antonio66 »

The Permed One wrote:Yeh i use them Dave, I use them on the bottom of my Granite isolation platforms too. Cos they are quite hard they stay fully formed under the heavy weight.. Also use them on my outboard 2.5" HDD Caddies stop em moving about too..
Wish I'd thought of that, would have stopped my HDD falling on the floor and breaking. This is on my watch list at present http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677548058? ... EBIDX%3AIT

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Carpet. Middle floor of a three floor house if that matters.

I know, and of course you're right, but if I don't know or am not sure I'd still rather ask! 8-)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The main choice is couple or decouple, me I am a coupler. Though it never helps to close your mind as things have a tendency to come up and bite yer bum and make you look stupid. Example, I hate blu-tack and variants, I hate springs and mechanically tuned circuits, all mechanical capacitors kill music (one of Docs ten commandments). Spikes and rigidity have always been my way. BUT recently I have had my bum bit. I have some of the Lidl rubber things for putting under fridges and things to stop them moving around. I built first Cube3s and the side cheek extensions fouled on the top of my stands, so they were there and I used them, solved the problem. Cube3s were replaced by Cube2s, sounds rather good says me! ah! will be better as it has those horrible decouplers under, so I takes them out - worse, puzzled :think: until my bum starts to tell me it has been bitten :oops:

antonio66

Using Townsend Speaker Bars here http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-hom ... ubwoofers/. Made a big improvement over the supplied spikes which were good quality ones.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Mmmmmm

Nice one Antonio, but that Townie twat although some good shit produced....decided to rip folk off by pricing it way over the fukin top.......cnut :naughty:

Same efect achieved by chopping 4 squash balls in half....5 Quid to you sir.... :guiness;

antonio66

That' the Scottish coming out in you again Jammy, I really don't think squash balls are quite the same. I do think Townie bits and pieces are expensive, don't know if that applies to his turntables. Someone on PFM (I think) made his own to which he calibrated the tension in the springs. I'll look later and post a link.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Townshend stuff used to have a ten-times markup. Costs fifty quid to make, sells for five hundred.. Similar to Linn and Naim and this gives around six or seven times markup to the dealer trade price (far eastern made speakers offer far higher dealer margins but the product has to be bought in huge quantities, usually by the chains). NVA and Rega (to name but two) make less margin to dealer trade price - and NVA sells direct at this price.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There is a thread on wigwam now were somebody as used vehicle springs as a substitute to townsend. I have spent hundreds if hours experimenting with this issue and the doc is correct it is personal preference based around the couple decouple issue,
They're is no correct way. I have moved from a solid concrete floor to a suspended floor and it caused me much misery. I eventually settled on light weight wooden stands resting on end grain balsa which was glued to the floor. The stands and speakers are glued to the solid concrete back wall with 3 pieces of end grain balsa. Thus decoupled from the floor but still not able to move in sympathy worth the piston motion of the floor and or drivers

Townsend springs are supposed to have a resonant frequency below 5 hz but to my mind that doesn't account for sympathetic driver induced movement. Of course if you have cubes then such movement is in line with gravity .

Cotlakey

Unread post by Cotlakey »

I looked at (that means physically examined) those Townsend speaker supports and concluded like you, DQ that there must be some sympathetic driver induced movement of the cabinets. I would expect them to fuzz the sound, but can't comment further because I've never tried them. I have a carpeted suspended floor and my proven (to me anyway) method is to use speaker spikes as normal which are directly coupled into the floor by the spikes resting in the cross head insert of large Phillips pattern screws that are driven through the carpet and locked solidly in the wooden floor. Works for me.

phlakaton

Unread post by phlakaton »

I've tried a number of options and have settled on the coupled option, heavy duty steal stands spiked on oak suspended floor.

By chance happened upon on neat solution for speaker to stand coupling in place of blue tack; recently took delivery of some glass and was peeling off the semi sticky pads that separate the panes, works a treat !
Main:
Speakers-NVA CUBE 1
Amps-NVA T.D.S.
Pre.- NVA T.C.S
Power-NVA BMU
DAC- Chord 2QUTE
Inter- NVA SSC and LS5
Source- VortexBox
Portable:
Bose sound link Colour
B&O Beolit 15
Ears: