Unread post by kimangelis »

That's really kind.

No need for pm.

Derek Angelis
c/o 14A Bond Street
Innerleithen
Peeblesshire
EH44 6HW

Single Malt I assume? I prefer Old Poulteney.... you?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Over-ear headphones.

Whilst I have your ear. I understand the Doc made a Jammy special headphone amp. Has it proved worthwhile?

Reason is I'm really starting to enjoy headphone listening, although I do appreciate my A70's and Cube 2's. However I have a grumpy git for a neighbour.....
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

No probs Kim, will let you know once posted (First week in March sometime).

Aye I started of with Docs standard AP10h headphone amp, and was most impressed with it, it wasnt till I decided to treat myself to a pair of
Audeze LCD 3 Planer Cans, that I thought hang on perhaps a suitable upgrade in Head amp would reward. (Plus being slightly deaf in one lug a
twin vol control would be very handy indeed..!!).
And yes im pleased to say my "3 Box - Twin VC - AP10hJS" is in a different class.

I Auditioned a top notch Bryston BHA 1 and was a wee bit surprised the AP10hJS pissed on it.

So yes a worthwhile investment indeed, providing you have the Cans to exploit its potential. :guiness;
The NVA way..jpg
The NVA way..jpg (175.16 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Said Beastie on the right.......

kimangelis
Great Britain

Wow! £1500.... But I can see me heading that way eventually, along with an AP10HJS. Trouble is I have a VERY comfortable chair from which I listen to my stuff via 'phones. It's rare that I see out a full album. However, the pleasure I get from listening through good headphones is quite remarkeable. I've just bought a pair of Focal Spirit Classics to add to my Grado RS2e's which were a real wake-up after using mediocre Sennheisers and the like. Looks like I've found a niche.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395

Technics closed back cans all boxed up - will post this morning Kim.
Inner fom pads could be done with a clean other than that they sound sweet.
Not bad for over 30 yo.
Enjoy, let us know what ya think.

:guiness;

jammy395

Cough, cough......... :whistle: :epop:

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

jammy395 wrote:Cough, cough......... :whistle: :epop:
+1

kimangelis
Great Britain

Oh sorry.... Been in dock so-to-speak with people in white coats poking, prodding and what have you.

Yes, thank you. The cans are interesting and very well put together. They certainly confirmed my thoughts about open-backed units lacking somewhat in bass reproduction. I'm not after teeth-loosening low frequencies, just more balanced and realistic levels.

Jammy's old Technics cans are quite refined in that they don't blow your head off, and as long as you keep the volume levels reasonable, are very good at reproducing a very listenable sound. No I wasn't blown away, but I didn't expect to be. Having said all that I found myself getting home, clamping on the cans and playing a disc before even cooking my tea.

I've doing some research into where I go next. I'm about to sell my Grado's good as they are, and thinking about a pair of Denon AH-D7100 cans. They're not the prettiest units especially for the price, but their pedigree is impeccable, and their reputation quite enviable.

So, the Technics cans are great and to my ears aren't as dynamic as the Grado's but are much easier on the ear for a wide range of music. My Grado's reproduce voice and stuff like string quartets quite astonishingly, but when playing heavier stuff, they fall over. Conversely the Technics aren't as gobsmacking as the Grado's but I prefer them for a complete range of music.

Thanks to all....

jammy395

Cheers Kim, glad you like em....a nice write up.
Your thoughts mirror my own, they have a sweet relaxed sound, and are un-fatiguing.
Enjoy. :guiness;