Celestion DL8 modding.

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Celestion DL8 modding.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes it has a purpose, you can confirm my findings if you wish by listening with and without.

Dave the bass
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dave the bass »

Ok, ta, I shall.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

more info on the glue :At the moment I am changing the black fabric on my speaker covers to white , I have been looking for suitable glue . Bison make a fabric glue that is solvent free . It is thus highly likely that the solvents in the bison glue did for your fabric dust caps and everything else should be okay .

Dave the bass

Daniel Quinn wrote:... It is thus highly likely that the solvents in the bison glue did for your fabric dust caps and everything else should be okay .
I'd agree 100% Daniel if it were not for the fact that the dust caps on these Celestions aren't fabric! :) They seem to be made of the same type of rubber as the surround, hence my cautious approach to getting too close the surround when doping.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

O dear. :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Daniel Quinn wrote:more info on the glue :At the moment I am changing the black fabric on my speaker covers to white , I have been looking for suitable glue . Bison make a fabric glue that is solvent free . It is thus highly likely that the solvents in the bison glue did for your fabric dust caps and everything else should be okay .
Thanks for that recommendation.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dave the bass

2nd and 3rd coats of Bison Kit gone on, 24hrs drying time between each session...

2nd...

3rd...

Whahey!
~ 1/3rd of a 650mL can so far....

I've also tidied up the little MDF Tweeter mounts...

16 off 180mm x 220mm 3mm mild steel sheets ordered and on the way too, its been a busy week so far.

Plastidip question-time, Aerosol or paint-on? There's a few variants of it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave the bass

PlastiDip has come, still waiting for the 16 x steel plates.

I've been busy again fettlin'. I gave the cones a 4th coating of Bison Kit and then left the whole caboodle to dry and set for a few days. In the meantime I made some solid Trespa plates to cover up where the old speaker terminals used to go and fitted airtight speaker binding posts to the rear, nothing fancy.

Then with narrow self adhesive draught excluder I ran a carefully cut border around the outside of each plate to ensure there are no leaks at all from the cabinets, I painstakingly ran a silicone bead all around every cabinet joint on the inside too, very time-consuming but hopefully rewarding in the long run.

I noticed the old sealing gasket around the mid/bass unit had seen better days and carefully removed all that too and fitted a nice bead of new draught excluder in its place...

and...

And then thought, hmmm, I wonder how they sound right now without PlastiDip or steel plates....

and...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

WELL? :lol:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...