Why do people join hi-fi forums

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why do people join hi-fi forums

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The history of English is fascinating. Original English (Angleish) was based on Germanic tribal languages from the Anglo Saxon invasions, ancient Celtic British from before that is now only spoken in Wales and Cornwall. Then the Norman invasion brought French as the official language, and the class structure was established, upper class spoke French, the peasants and serfs spoke Anglo Saxon. Over centuries the two have merged which is why we have two words often for the same thing, one from the Germanic root and one from the Latin / French root. Example - King comes from Germanic, Royal comes from French. So English is truly a bastard language from many sources, as well as German and French we have Nordic from the Vikings, and Greek and Italian from the Renaissance. *Peoples* language is always a moving feast and English is very different now to 100 years ago. The French have a different attitude, it is part of culture so they try to keep it, but are failing as American English and English English words pollute (in official minds) the purity and poetic nature of traditional French.

It has been said that French is the language of the poet and lover, where as English has become the language of business.

Sad isn't it but I really do find this fascinating :oops:

joe

Unread post by joe »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well the well known phrase is, "opinions are like arseholes, we all have one". I am not sure this is a good analogy, it implies to have an opinion is wrong or at least smelly. I prefer "opinions are like brains, we all *should* have one".
Well, of course the full saying is 'opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one, and most of them stink'. I like the anecdote of the company boss listening to his staff endlessly debating whether to adopt a particular strategy. Eventually he intervened with: 'If we have data, let's see the data. If all we have are opinions, let's go with mine'.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: It has been said that French is the language of the poet and lover, where as English has become the language of business.
Pah! We produced Shakespeare, so we win over every other language, for ever.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

joe wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: It has been said that French is the language of the poet and lover, where as English has become the language of business.
Only because our million monkeys on a million typewriters started before everyone else's did....

musique!

Unread post by musique! »

Here are the best history explainations about our two nations ! :lol: :guiness;

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

[quote="Dr Bunsen Honeydew"]Then the Norman invasion brought French as the official language, and the class structure was established, upper class spoke French, the peasants and serfs spoke Anglo Saxon. ...............

quote]

This ties in with what I was told many years ago, that most of our "swear words"/descriptions of bodily functions come from Anglo Saxon/Germanic roots.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

So why does my wife say "pardon my French" when she swears..... :lol: :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

joe wrote:
And the English of Chaucer, just try and read it and understand it. You wont!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

guy wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Then the Norman invasion brought French as the official language, and the class structure was established, upper class spoke French, the peasants and serfs spoke Anglo Saxon. ...............

quote]

This ties in with what I was told many years ago, that most of our "swear words"/descriptions of bodily functions come from Anglo Saxon/Germanic roots.
Merde sound much more smelly than shit :oops:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
joe wrote:
And the English of Chaucer, just try and read it and understand it. You wont!
If you read Chaucer's middle English out loud with the correct pronunciation you end up sounding like a Geordie. :lol:
I did Chaucer at A level and at college. It was fun.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)