Cheer up Colin thread

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Cheer up Colin thread

Unread post by kimangelis »

You live in Scotland Colin? Probably bitten by a 'Chigger'. Nasty little bastards that look like spider and a bit that causes swelling and they're bloody itchy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

Whatever it is you ail from apart from the insects.... There's a lot of people been through similar, and those who haven't still wish you well.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I was bitten by something last year and my whole arm below the elbow was swollen for a month. It had just got back to normal when it started swelling again and then I was on heavy-duty antibiotics for 2 months to get rid of the infection.

Go see a doctor - if only for peace of mind.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Firstly, don't panic! You always thought there were no killer spiders in Britain - and you're right. But there are some that do have strong enough venom to deliver a pretty painful bite - especially if your body reacts badly.

Below are 10 particularly nasty little biters, ranked in order of the discomfort they can deliver. Some are British natives, while others are regularly coming across in boxes of fruit and the like.

There's also a description of bite symptoms, thanks to the Natural History Museum in London. In each case the offending spider was delivered to the museum with a note explaining the effects of the bite.

10. Money spider

Workers at a sewage treatment plant complained of being bitten by large numbers of this tiny spider, resulting in localised redness and swelling.

9. Woodlouse spider

Location: Originally from southern Europe, but has managed to get just about everywhere.

"Held on to top of finger, had to be knocked off; the bite was like that of a bee sting, leaving a white spot on finger."

8. Walnut orb-weaver spider

Location: Europe, north Africa and south Asia. Hides behind bark and in cracks in woodwork during the day.

"Pain like an electric shock from finger to elbow with the arm going numb; recovered after a few hours."

7. Black lace-weaver spider

"The bite, on the palm of the hand, was very painful. There was a white patch on the bite area, and a fairly large area of reddening around it."

"Swelling for three days, nausea."

6. Tube web spider

Location: Originally from southern Europe, with adults out from June to November.

"A sharp and painful bite; felt like a deep injection and caused quite a shock. However, after six hours the pain subsided."

5. Wasp spider

Relatively new to the UK, and pretty rare. But the bite causes immediate pain that can spread to the groin.

4. Cross (or garden) spider

"On the arm while in bed. Felt nausea, the arm swelled badly for 3 days."

3. Mouse spider

"Bitten on left hand. Looked like large pimple with pus-head surrounded by red inflammation. Wound burst and entire hand became septic. Wife also bitten: same painful wound for 7 days."

2. Huntsman spider

Location: South-east Asia and the Caribbean. Turns up with fruit fairly regularly because it lives on plantations.

Usually mild symptoms in humans. However, one woman was bitten in the armpit and suffered a painful swelling that lasted many days, while leaving her in a state of shock.

1. False widow spider

Location: Originally the Canary Islands, but can now be found on the southern and eastern coast and in Surrey.

One particularly bad reaction to a false widow bite went a bit like this: "Burning sensation on the right side of ribs. Increased in intensity, like being scalded, stabbing pains spread first to armpit then down right arm. Also flu-like symptoms, aches, sweats, fatigue, perspiring, cold and shaky, sick and giddy (all in first 10 minutes). Face and right arm went purplish and slightly puffy. Bite mark raised with red area c. 5 or 6cm. After 1 hour, responded to Piriton but felt unwell for 3 days."

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

kimangelis wrote:You live in Scotland Colin? Probably bitten by a 'Chigger'. Nasty little bastards that look like spider and a bit that causes swelling and they're bloody itchy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

Whatever it is you ail from apart from the insects.... There's a lot of people been through similar, and those who haven't still wish you well.
I think they are termed "Keds" in the south west Jammy, a type of or young tick? I once had one crawling up my leg, probably looking to feast on me :angry-screaming: But I got the bastard - squished the sod! Look up sheep keys- evil looking bastards they are!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

The problem I have it's on my naff leg, which normally I can't feel due to stroke damage I am told , but this has broken through this normally dead lump of leg and it hurts what the hell would it feel like if it worked.
This was a tiny spider I saw it before I squished it, the second time this has happened and both times in London, I call it a "Deadender Spider" Unfortunately with the massive amount of Rat Poison I take it has bruised bad and very red.
Just put very cold ice bag on and it was feeling less pain, I see what it is like in the morning, I just have had enough of hospital this year 6 times in 6 month the longest was 3 weeks in Jan. And no Red Headed Scottish Nurses , shame. Back to hospital again i August for another op, I hope they can find the brain in the box. I could do with a :guiness; right now.
It can be done so imagine it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Chin up Col, Hospital can be fun................ ;) :auto-ambulance:
Nurses are Okay......!!!!!.jpg
Nurses are Okay......!!!!!.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Scottish NHS :mrgreen:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

jammy395 wrote:Chin up Col, Hospital can be fun................ ;) :auto-ambulance:
Nurses are Okay......!!!!!.jpg
Scottish NHS :mrgreen:
YES PLEASE
It can be done so imagine it.

jammy395

Hows the Swelling Colin... :?:

The Leg Man the Leg.....Hope its Better. :lol: :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Doctor doctor I have a bad leg.

If this is the beginning of a joke you will have to pull the other one, it might have bells on it :mrgreen:

jammy395

'Doctor, Doctor, every night I get the urge to go downstairs and stick my dick into the biscuit tin. Do you know what's wrong with me?'.
'Yes ... you're fucking crackers".

Boom Boom. :lol: :guiness;