Reaction

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reaction

Post by joe »

I can't understand anyone 'hating' it; it's just not very good. I wouldn't give it wall-space for that reason.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

"Good"! in what terms, draftsmanship, well you wont like much modern(ish) art. I quoted Cubism before, is that good in your terms.

Do we have to have the "what is art" discussion.

joe

Post by joe »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:"Good"! in what terms, draftsmanship, well you wont like much modern(ish) art. I quoted Cubism before, is that good in your terms.

Do we have to have the "what is art" discussion.
Not unless you want to.

I like plenty of modern art, including Cubism. I just don't think the picture you showed is a very good example of it. Unfortunately, I'm not much cop at saying why I like or dislike pictures. I'm OK with literary criticism though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is fine I am not criticising your opinion, just trying to understand why some people see depth and others see just bad brushwork. It is similar to hi-fi which is why I brought it up.

Mugwanya
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mugwanya »

For me, there is very little skill in it. I feel (rightly or wrongly) that I could take an issue or combine several issues (as in this case, the sexual dynamics between men and women contrasted with socio-political struggles of Nazi Germany), design an image that illustrates those issues and produce an equally crude drawing based on that design. There is a certain skill in the first part but a lot of people could have a go at it; the greater skill (the art) for me is in what you call the draftsmanship.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Post by slinger »

I think it's all too easy to over-analyse art, or music come to that. Personally speaking, if I need to understand the artists mind set and decipher precisely what I think (which is most likely to be wrong, because I am NOT the artist) the picture is supposed to convey then I don't want it on my wall. The old quote "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like" has a ring of truth about it.

I'm afraid amateur pseudo-psychological :Bllocks: about art simply makes me laugh.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

terrybooth
Great Britain

Post by terrybooth »

I find it unsettling, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think I could be indifferent to it.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Per usual we miss the point, perhaps I am not clear, I was looking for the *emotional* response, not a technical brush stroke analysis. What do you feel when you see it, what does it convey, fear, hatred, fascination etc etc.

Perhaps I should just give up

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

terrybooth wrote:I find it unsettling, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think I could be indifferent to it.
Thank you, at last :roll:

Well other have as well, but I am looking for reaction.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Post by jammy395 »

Not many votes and I am the only one to love it. (Doc).

:naughty: You may love it also, but I think you will find that the 1 vote is indeed mine... :whistle: