Metrum

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Metrum

Unread post by Fretless »

The Musette has got me listening to Classical music again. The portrayal of acoustic instruments with a crystalline level of imaging and placement is wonderful. And this DAC does everything without sounding harsh, muddled or forced.

The Hegel has more of a sense of power and 'controlling' the music, and is still an immensely enjoyable device. But there is a noticeable difference in transparency and soundstage.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Fretless
Netherlands

The Musette has to go back tomorrow morning. :crying-yellow:

So I have just put the Hegel HD12 back into the NVA rig and had a quick listen. Where's the crystalline imaging gone ? What's happened to that insight into the music ? Where has the 'life' vanished to ?

Okay - the Hegel DAC is in cold and needs to warm through - and the sense of power and weight it gives, along with a broader, less central soundstage, is all still intact. But still - a world of difference.

Time to count my pennies, methinks.... :sad-darkcloud:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

If a 'not brand new' line source like the Hegel needs hours to warm up, I'm going to be nasty and suggest there's a design flaw somewhere. Naims were like this, but this was often due to amp offsets going all over the place (ancient and inappropriately modified 1950's design). My ton-up twin-supply Digit Opto just comes on and gives great music right from the off and then stays like that all day and I can't say I hear one jot of difference with the NVA gear either, at least after the first five minutes...

You chaps won't like the reference, but the Rega DAC has always been incredibly musical in an NVA kind of way and NEVER draws attention to itself. It just does the job and entertains hugely. For around £300 on the used market, it's in a different league 'musically' to the Beresfords I've heard... Just thought I'd mention it as the Doc's little giant killer hasn't yet gone into production.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

That is an interesting point about warm-up time Dave. The Hegel did sound considerably better after being left on for 3 or 4 hours - I thought that was the analogue output section needing to thermally stabilise.

Never heard the Rega DAC but it has a good reputation. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:If a 'not brand new' line source like the Hegel needs hours to warm up, I'm going to be nasty and suggest there's a design flaw somewhere. Naims were like this, but this was often due to amp offsets going all over the place (ancient and inappropriately modified 1950's design). My ton-up twin-supply Digit Opto just comes on and gives great music right from the off and then stays like that all day and I can't say I hear one jot of difference with the NVA gear either, at least after the first five minutes...

You chaps won't like the reference, but the Rega DAC has always been incredibly musical in an NVA kind of way and NEVER draws attention to itself. It just does the job and entertains hugely. For around £300 on the used market, it's in a different league 'musically' to the Beresfords I've heard... Just thought I'd mention it as the Doc's little giant killer hasn't yet gone into production.
My Rega Dac has just gone in for a small repair so I'm hoping to be able to compare it with the Beresford Caiman 2 and hopefully the NOS Dac that George has in a few weeks when work settles down.

I haven't listened to the Rega for a while but I do remember it being very easy to listen to and far more enjoyable than the Rega amps in my opinion (I did quite like the Brio-R but it is trounced by the AP20). My system has evolved quite a bit since I last had a serious listen to the Rega so I'm looking forward to hearing it again. At the moment I'm using a Rega Saturn CD player which might be the best all in one player that I have ever heard, although I have only really had budget players with the exception of a Reference series Technics which I owned many years ago.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Quarknosis wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I haven't listened to the Rega for a while but I do remember it being very easy to listen to and far more enjoyable than the Rega amps in my opinion (I did quite like the Brio-R but it is trounced by the AP20). My system has evolved quite a bit since I last had a serious listen to the Rega so I'm looking forward to hearing it again. At the moment I'm using a Rega Saturn CD player which might be the best all in one player that I have ever heard, although I have only really had budget players with the exception of a Reference series Technics which I owned many years ago.
What chips does the DAC section use and how are they configured? One (or more) chips per channel? Or one chip for both channels?

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

George Hincapie wrote:
What chips does the DAC section use and how are they configured? One (or more) chips per channel? Or one chip for both channels?
It appears that it has a pair of Wolfson WM8742 chips. One per channel
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Good chips, but it's the analogue outs that really matter here...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

vrazjigwb

Unread post by vrazjigwb »

I've had the Rega DAC (not R) before the Octave actually and the Octave is in a different league when it comes to giving insight into music / musical flow.

The Rega was very listenable though, lovely musical sound, never offensive. Very un-digital I always though. Greatly benefited when used with a decent USB/SPDIF converter (I've had the hiface2 at that time, now the Audiophilleo 2). It's USB input was a bit crap, but I think I've read it was improved in the later R variant.

I've also always liked their CD players for the same reasons...

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well I picked up the Dac 3 today from George and thought I'd give it try on returning home. My initial impression, very musical, its hard to describe but there is no edginess to the sound and completely fatigue free. I would urge everyone to give it a try on George's generous loan scheme, and that includes you Doc. :lol: It may give your Sony a run for its money and at £150 is a steal.