Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

Unread post by jayman67 »

cobblers regarding the klh unless you mean the later ones,the model 23 i had was fine and dandy
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If I lived in the States and had Spendor SP2's, I'd be looking for speakers like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Urei-813-2X15- ... SwCCVZsf2x
with perished bass driver surrounds for $500 or less.

Altec, Bozak, EV, JBL, Urei all made speakers that I would personally prefer over the Spendors. It's just a case of finding something at the right price. And not being fussy about looks.

But then speakers are such a personal choice...

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

You might want to look at speakers designed by Dick Shaninian. I had a pair of the US designed and built Shahinian Arcs some years ago, and they ticked a lot of boxes in regard to bass, clear mid and top, and were very capable of dealing with an eclectic range of music.

I have to admit I'm not sure if the company still exists (sorry), but they were quite exceptional.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

IPNIGHTLY

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY »

I think they are still on the go. I would love to hear a pair some day.

57charles

Unread post by 57charles »

Thank you all so much for your replies - much appreciated. DSJR, youmention that the new Spendor Classic models may be livelier than what I have at the moment - I certainly don't want that. Moreover, the prices of Classic Spendors have risen by quite a bit recently for example the Classic 1/2 is now some $1000 more than the equivalent Harbeth, namely the SHL5+. There is a Spendor dealer in Charleston which is about 90 miles (down the road in American terms!)from me so it may be a good idea to check whether they have the Classic range on demo - many dealers don't. I would love to hear the Stirling LS3/6 but the nearest dealer is Gene Rubin in New York which is quite a distance although they do online orders - they appear to be quite a bargain if they are comparable in aspects to the Spendor and Harbeth - they are almost $3000 cheaper than the Spendor Classic 1/2 hete in the States. Once again many thanks for you great replies.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just found this http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/foru ... lley-audio

Anyone care to comment, I really can't be bothered.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

57charles wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:08 pm Thank you all so much for your replies - much appreciated. DSJR, youmention that the new Spendor Classic models may be livelier than what I have at the moment - I certainly don't want that. Moreover, the prices of Classic Spendors have risen by quite a bit recently for example the Classic 1/2 is now some $1000 more than the equivalent Harbeth, namely the SHL5+. There is a Spendor dealer in Charleston which is about 90 miles (down the road in American terms!)from me so it may be a good idea to check whether they have the Classic range on demo - many dealers don't. I would love to hear the Stirling LS3/6 but the nearest dealer is Gene Rubin in New York which is quite a distance although they do online orders - they appear to be quite a bargain if they are comparable in aspects to the Spendor and Harbeth - they are almost $3000 cheaper than the Spendor Classic 1/2 hete in the States. Once again many thanks for you great replies.
So you can't break away from your mindset / brainwash. You are looking in the wrong direction if you want music and not just some peculiar variant of hi-fi. The daft part of this is all you have to do is open your mind and go and listen to alternatives, almost any alternatives. These companies succeed only on their reputation not on any musical reality, so you have to break away from this mind set of yours if you want your music to progress. But you don't even talk about music you talk about bass and treble, you need to progress from the kindergarten version of hi-fi understanding.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

interesting post...
and even DSLR is mentioned there...

also Alan A Shaw commented himself...
http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/foru ... #post72953
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ithilstone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:18 am interesting post...
and even DSLR is mentioned there...

also Alan A Shaw commented himself...
http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/foru ... #post72953
Shaw's first thought is how to extract profit, then how to cosset his own punters from anything that might cause them to think.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

AND in this industry he can create a successful company on that basis, a sad indictment of us.