Feck this, I've had enough.

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Feck this, I've had enough.

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Do whatever makes you happiest. Or gives you the most contentment. And sod what anyone else thinks.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:26 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

This thread has come as a shock to me. The mentions of burn out and chasing rainbows are very appropriate. At the end of the day what pleases you best is all that matters. In the grand scheme of things it is easy to forget that us "audiophiles" are considered to be an odd small minority. I would think carefully before buying the Kefs.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:26 am) • Lindsayt (Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:53 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am In the grand scheme of things it is easy to forget that us "audiophiles" are considered to be an odd small minority.
.... and doomed to eternal damnation. :angry-fire:

Hi-fi, lo-fi, wi-fi, bi-fi who cares as long as the music sings.

These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:33 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am I would think carefully before buying the Kefs.

Would you mind saying why ?

Darko likes em so they must be brilliant :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:29 am
CN211276 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am I would think carefully before buying the Kefs.

Your JBL seems to be quite good and I am not convinced this would be a cost effective improvement.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:36 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:36 am
karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:29 am

Your JBL seems to be quite good and I am not convinced this would be a cost effective improvement.
That's a good point.

Richer sounds in York have them in black. 20 minute drive and they could be mine :clap: 18 months free credit. I would much rather buy from RS than the other York stockist which is The Sound Organisation. Bunch of sneering hifi snobs. Probably try and sell me an LP12 :idea:

"Good morning, I'm interested in some wireless speakers"
"How about one of these world beating Linn LP12's sir ? It's the future, we've heard it"
"Feck off"

Leaves store.

This impulsive behaviour is very unlike me :hand:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:29 am) • antonio66 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:29 am) • NSNO2021 (Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:01 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Darko also has a lot to say about the Sonos 5 speakers, having owned a single one a few years back I would line up a demo of a pair, sub can be added for more oooph.

I am currently in a similar(ish) position to you and stripped everything out and just have a Bluesound POWERNODE along with some Q Acoustic little stand mounts. Nothing to faff about with and with the added Bluesound remote control I have presets configured so the family can easily fire off a radio station or playlist at the touch of a single button without having to play with a phone / tablet.

For me, where next? Not sure but despite the ease of the Bluesound a basic simple system with CD and amp is appealing as it relies on no network, internet or smartphone etc. New CD arrived yesterday in the post but the hassle of ripping, tagging and copying cross the network just sucks out any fun or enjoyment.

(I did have the Bluesound Vault ripper / storage device) but this also went away…)
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:30 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Shevans wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:07 am Darko also has a lot to say about the Sonos 5 speakers, having owned a single one a few years back I would line up a demo of a pair, sub can be added for more oooph.

I am currently in a similar(ish) position to you and stripped everything out and just have a Bluesound POWERNODE along with some Q Acoustic little stand mounts. Nothing to faff about with and with the added Bluesound remote control I have presets configured so the family can easily fire off a radio station or playlist at the touch of a single button without having to play with a phone / tablet.

For me, where next? Not sure but despite the ease of the Bluesound a basic simple system with CD and amp is appealing as it relies on no network, internet or smartphone etc. New CD arrived yesterday in the post but the hassle of ripping, tagging and copying cross the network just sucks out any fun or enjoyment.

(I did have the Bluesound Vault ripper / storage device) but this also went away…)
That's a very useful post Shevans. Many thanks.

I am starting to consider other options now. I didn't want to have to think about this anymore than I already have but it seems I have failed in that regard.

The important question is DO I REALLY NEED STEREO ? ie two speakers. Part of my frustration with old school stereo set ups is the fact that it doesn't sound right when you are not sat an equal distance from each speaker(even with omni speakers) The sonos 5 is just one unit so that problem is err.....not a problem.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

karatestu wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:47 am
antonio66 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 am Very sorry to hear you are at the end of your tether with speaker building. You have admitted to enjoying the sound they have made, but my impression is you've still tried to go another level up instead of just finishing them. I know you still have to sort out the electronics, but you could have purchased an amplifier, and there are plenty of dac/streamers you could also buy. I can certainly understand how easy the Kef's would make your life, many audiophiles have reduced their box count simplifying their systems, but just in case you don't like the Kef's when demo'ed this maybe a alternative route to take.
Hi Dave, Thanks for your thoughts. You make good points. I have at times gushed about the sound after a new to me discovery. What you should know is I AM FULL OF SHIT and anything I have ever said on here should be ignored. Yes, chasing detail ends in an ugly place where you can't enjoy the music. The jbl charge 5 is another world. Somebody competent has designed and made it ie not me.

I am afraid that getting separate boxes will leave the door open to faffing obsession and box swapping. I need to knock that shit on the head, it's affecting other parts of my life. Pissing about when I should be thinking and worrying about important things like earning money and taking care of my family. If I leave the door open then I am afraid that the obsessing will have a way to worm its way back in.

I need to draw a line under all this shit, it's not healthy. I have wasted a whole lot of time and money chasing rajnbows and unicorns. I can put that time and money in to something much more rewarding like my family, friends, saving the environment and finding obscure and exciting new jazz and funk music that gives me that glow that reminds me of being 18 again.
That first paragraph is absolute boll#cks. I agree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, it is near enough what I advised/thought when I messaged you. Go and listen to those Kef's with an open mind, if you don't get on with them come back and let us know.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:47 am)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

No point chucking money at a percieved 'problem' stu, if you are completely burned out at the teeth knashing frustration that you have been experiencing, pissing a load of money up the wall will not make you happy.
It took me 20 years to get to where i am with my system and countless thousands. Countless amp builds. Countless tt builds. Countless speaker builds. Countless different arm builds.
Quite frankly, i dont listen to my system very much. I dont sit down infront of it like i used to poring over the sound. Its a maddening experience that makes you miserable.
For a long time i didnt listen to it, and a little pure dab radio was what was on all the time until my wife could no longer listen to it because of the news bulletins screwing up her fragile mental health. I never gave a shit about how it sounded because its not meant to sound great. But i discovered lots of new music.
Never throw money at a problem irrespective of wether you have loads or a little, its pointless if you dont know what you are trying to achieve.

Listen to bluetooth speaker and enjoy it. Why would you not?

Dont listen to other opinions on an internet either, no matter how well meaning and/or trusted they might be because those opinions arent formed by what you are experiencing.
You will simply end up on the same treadmill trying to spend your way off it until you have figured out what exactly it is that you want
In fact, dont listen to me either. My opinion is just as irrelevant

Edit: nothing in this post is meant to offend other people who have posted above, it is meant to illustrate the point that you simply do no know what you are chasing after and the frustration of this has for the moment killed all enjoyment you get out of music. You need to figure out what you want first then go from there.
If the bt speaker makes you happy and wanting to listen, THATS ABSOLUTELY FINE
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:47 am) • Lindsayt (Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:56 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7