Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pinky's Funky Rambling's....!!!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Post before Andrews - Absolute classic Pinky ramblings :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :clap:

I really haven't got a clue what he is on about :? :whistle:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Andrew :clap: :clap: :clap:

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I am not hearing a lot of love for the Gyrodec but it's all horses for courses, folks - Pinky I know what you are saying re the SL1200 but it works for the sort of music I like which needs the spot on timing, the slam and the bass. I don't listen to Genesis or Classical or whatever Girl With Guitar is calling herself this month, so I can ignore the shortcomings you describe (and which I agree with) as they don't affect me that much.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The only belt drive I have ever heard that comes near a good direct or rim drive is the Voyd. Primarily for me it is pitch (note) stability, they all warble, especially the Linn and the Gyrodec. My problem is I have perfect pitch perception especially for voice, having done choral and amateur operatics I can sight read music for voice (well I used to, haven't tried for many years).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Look, Linn's Ivor did me a favour with the whole tune-dem scenario. I used to do this unconsciously anyway and thinking more about the tune and rhythm actually helped me to focus what it was about recorded music that had me hooked from before I could toddle! The LP12 DID help iffy records from the 70's and 80's to sound better and more involving than perhaps they should and perhaps the 'trouble' with the RB300 and related tonearms was that they lacked any form of 'enhancements,' showing the records and cartridges fitted for what they were possibly?

The Mission 774 suffered from variable build and disgusting finish, although on the right deck it sings (a Systemdek I to III (these I know well) is an ideal platform IMO). The Systemdek looked to reach maturity with the IV model with electronic speed control, but I'd left KJ by this time and of course my then new employer was Linn/Naim centric so no chance until the late 80's when one of the staff insisted we sold the Rock II, which was cheaper than the LP12 by this time and actually better - cough.....

Like I said earlier, the NAS Spacedeck was a revelation for me, especially with an RB300 fitted. No real setup needed, immune to where it's sited and an utterly involving listen, outperforming the LP12 in all the areas the fruitbox excelled. Tom Fletcher was a lovely man as well and he always made a very convincing view on what he wanted from his products.

Going off topic chaps and apologies for the drift. The only Pink I knew was the LPT, which was a bit 'raw' sounding with the fashionable AT MC cartridges the owners often fitted. I did see the horrific internal build and finish of early PT decks although I readily admit the later Anniversary model was MUCH better inside. Fitting the belt is a nightmare and the sapphire bearings could self destruct with the tiniest bit of mishandling. Maybe the average punter shouldn't have got involved 8-) When I finally got to sell and set up the Tarantella model, the one we did have issues with was immediately replaced. Still needed care in use though.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

The NAS does look nice.
I went for a Techie as I could buy the deck cheap, and improve it as funds allowed.

It's almost "finished" and it hasn't cost me a fortune, but it does not look fantastic.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

CageyH-FX1200 wrote:I went for a Techie as I could buy the deck cheap, and improve it as funds allowed.

It's almost "finished" and it hasn't cost me a fortune, but it does not look fantastic.
And that's all part of the fun and joy of vinyl reproduction. Hamish (I think it was) on AOS, did a great metallic paint finish on a beat up techie plinth he once had. If the mods are cheap, then little lost if you change your mind. I do worry about the Marco followers who first went for the MN platter and bearing, then switched to the Funk one, which apparently is better mass-matched to the techie servos, now back to a different MN one and so on. These things are over £500 a pop, so for most of 'us,' I really think that once is the only time, ridiculous if preferences by the 'ubers' is going to change every six months or so.

Just to add that I don't think the wealthy techie 'ubers' have kids, so are denied the 'luxury' of empty wallets and demands of time children of all ages ( :o ) bring...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

An oft forgotten about direct drive is the Dual, so many model that just confuse me. But the odd ones I have heard make very passable music.

Perhaps DSJR would give us a definitive listing with recs.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Belt drives just have to be flawed....Don't they :?:
A separate motor driving a platter (Light or heavy) through a belt (Or 2 or more etc).
Now this has got WOBBLY written all over it.
Come back Pinky..... ;) :lol:

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Bugger. Just lost a post from my mobile checking some facts. Been out in the sun Jammy. Do you guys not do outdoors? Sooo much going on - such fun!
Will try to catch up with you all tomorrow. Just briefly, Doc - I would draw you attention to the title of this thread. I wouldnt want to disappoint my huge fan base.
Being even more arrogant and vain than Marco, I am more than a little hurt by your poor knowledge of my biography. I'll come back to the rambling post later - but I am off to get pissed as a warm up for my birthday tomorrow. St paddy's day birthday celebrations need serious training!
I would ask you to sing me happy birthday doc, but the gig has gone to Sue. Now if classical singing ability is the arbiter for turntable quality, its a hands-down win for the PT. Mrs S thought the Technics dull, and loves the PT. She knows nothing of big torque and warble. She just wants voices and instruments to sound real. Qualifications

Sue is a classically trained operatic soprano who studied with John Wakefield at Trinity college of music, graduating in 1988. She has sung regularly as a soloist throughout the South East (professionally) in works that have included Elgars's Dream of Gerontius, Faure's requim, Handels Messiah, Haydens Creation, Mendelssohns Elijah, Mozarts Mass in C minor, Rossini Petit Messe Solonelle, Rutters Requim, and Vivaldis Gloria. (Opera's include Suzanna in Mariage of Figaro, and Mimi in Puccini La Boheme). She has performed at the Royal Alrbert Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southwark Cathedral,St James Picadilly, and St Martin in the Fields, as well as cathedrals in London, Chicester, Rouen, Chartres and Laon.

So that's definitely the Pink Triangle then :dance:
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right