The Most Minimal Computer Music Converter

A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: The Most Minimal Computer Music Converter

Unread post by terrybooth »

You are many steps ahead of me Lazmo. I think I've just solved the problem around mapping a drive to the NAS. I had to get updates and then install the cifs-utils (the NAS wouldn't connect on NFS either). I haen't got my DAC board yet and the PI is (I think) building it's database as I type this (on the other hand it could be filling up its storage with rubbish and I'm just waiting for it to be full.

BTW what size SD card have you used?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

terrybooth
Great Britain

I've got it to make a semi-musical noise. (RTFI plus a little bit of web searching).

What I have is the Raspberry Pi with Wart PSU (no DAC card yet) plugged into a Topping T30 DAC/AMP and my home network playing music from my Network Storage Box. As Churchill said about women speaking in parliament and dogs walking on their hind legs, it is amazing it happens at all.

Anyway, so long as it works again when I restart it (!) I guess I could compare it to the MAC or the TFS as a transport.

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

BTW what size SD card have you used?[/quote]

I am using mostly 8 GB SanDisk class 4 SDHC cards but i have a few Transcend cards also 4 GB they all work very well had no failures using these .

So you have sound excellent your on the right side of the hill then :D like the churchill statement very good ! You will find as you progress onto the onboard dac that will allow you to run the I2S mode on the Pi from here on in it starts to really perform no more clicks or pops on playback although i wasn't getting many you could hear a few little noises on playback if you listened long enough .

Also now you have got it to read from the NAS the next time you switch on and rebuild the MPD it should be quicker mine takes 5 mins or so.

I have not has much chance to do much more prolonged listening to it since i built it it has been in test mode on my (what i call my test rig) but for the short time i have spent with it it's pretty impressive .

btw terry it is best to shut it down or make it go to sleep using the method from the volumio interface as pulling the power which is the usual way with a pi running any other software may cause you to loose your settings :doh:

i hope to get more time over the weekend to do some proper listening 8-)
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

forgot to mention you will have to update to the VolumioBeta1.3BISPI version software or the I2s function wont work with your onboard Dac without a lot of manual code entering :roll: took me a little while to suss that one out it works a little smoother generaly also IMO

terrybooth
Great Britain

Cheers.

Playing ripped CDs (16 bit) doesn't produce anything in the pops and clicks department so far
Playing 24 bit downloaded material produces the occasional little fadeout
Playing (my only) 24 bit/192khz track doesn't work

I'm waiting on hifi berry dac - I'm told it could be a month :cry: I've just replaced my AppleMac mini with the Pi (Beresford DAC) and so far (listening to Antonio Forcione/Sabina Sciubba) I don't see any reason to go back.

Shutting down an OS using the 'big button' is not usually a preferred method! I haven't discovered how to wake it up without power cycling, although this should be possible, I think.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You design it and I will come up with the box and PSU and analogue output stage :think: this seem to bring up a memory, have I done this before ;)
Not a lot of point in doing that I feel - this is something that is DIY. I have got a thought about how it might be an NVA product however (but I'll do a Ninanina on that one I think :mrgreen: )

terrybooth
Great Britain

Lazmo wrote:forgot to mention you will have to update to the VolumioBeta1.3BISPI version software or the I2s function wont work with your onboard Dac without a lot of manual code entering :roll: took me a little while to suss that one out it works a little smoother generaly also IMO
Seems to be forever stuck population the database for me. Gone back to 1.2 at the moment.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Seems to be forever stuck population the database for me. Gone back to 1.2 at the moment.[/quote]

If you have just deleted a OS from the card and added another sometimes i have had problems unless you reformat the card you add another vers OS too

If you are refering to the forever spining icon on the bottom left of the playback screen ignore that as long as it is spining then it's updating the MPD and usually if all is well you can access that be it radio or your own files after about 2 mins depending on how much data your loading .

Its good to have a few SD cards with various builds on which you can swop out as an when and as you need but i think you are discovering this as the more you play configure then think about this little gem the more incredible the possibilities are :D

And that's apart from the other general things you read from the PI sites that other people have achieved and are working on IMO it has been succesful in what it was built for which was to get kids into computer science .
The Audio side of it is a complete suprise to me and i guess many others in respect of just how good this little thing is :D

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Lazmo wrote:I'm waiting on hifi berry dac - I'm told it could be a month
I have a analogue vers of the hifi berry dac which is for my other project (the female header i have already soldered on it just needs the phono's for analogue connection soldering on the board ....i have not done this yet because i was going to fit them on a case of my choice ) but if you wish i can send it on to you so you can further your project ( i hate waiting tooo ) but i ordered earlier and got lucky hehe took about 8 days from order for me but if you have a longer estimation of time i dont mind my project can wait waiting if you want to do this PM the details

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

and you can send me yours if it is the same config when you get it at least this way you dont have to wait a month . ( this should of been part of the last post) but it's friday :guiness; and watching Jools holland and typing dont mix :dance: :dance: