[ADVICE] CA Concept MM to Pro-Ject Tube Box DS

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: [ADVICE] CA Concept MM to Pro-Ject Tube Box DS

Unread post by Classicrock »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Classicrock wrote: Some Spendor models sound fine and sure the D7 are good ones.
They still make the old stuff in revised form for the far eastern market which Harbeth find so rewarding, but for years, the old models couldn't be purchased in the UK at all. It was only after the re-financing they had a few years ago that their fortunes really began to change and despite looking cheaper in pictures than the S and Se series before them, the current A and D series are very solidly built and well finished and the D7's rather nice to listen through.

We learn as we go along and in my case, marketing-speak has taken a long time for me to even begin to learn. Harbeth PR is very subtle and product orientated - I can see it now - but so far, I don't think Spendor has that kind of 'voice,' rather allowing the products to speak for themselves to a large extent. Their designers old and new do offer help on the Yahoo group and in fact the current chap has a slightly tetchy manner at times that reminds me a bit of the Doc in full flow :lol: Can't be bad then :guiness;

P.S. EAR products have all but tripled in price in the last ten years so they can acquire status in the far eastern market I believe. GT Audio valve gear similar sadly. This market is their real bread and butter now and probably always has been.
When I visited last years Bristol show Spendor had their HL5 equivalent and I thought they sounded better. Of course the Harbeth owner has no idea how to dem his own speakers. Classical music files and perched on ridiculous high stands.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have a lot of respect for the Harbeth owner, BUT, having tried and failed to live with SHL5's here (not all their fault at all), I'm beginning to realise a less muted and on the surface, bland, approach, only works in some situations, just not in mine. In comparison at my mate's place, the D7 has more 'life' to it and here, that would be of benefit. As for the latest SP1, I'm sure it's excellent but I only remember the original SP1 and SP1/2, the latter sounding all but identical despite different drive units. The surrounds harden on these earlier SP1's though and it was only discovered and sorted in very recent times. They charge the earth for replacement drivers too, despite making them all themselves :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have minus 101 % respect for the Harbeth man he is an idiot who should keep his mouth shut, he has done serious damage to our hobby with his stupidity. I think he is a crook and shister nearly on the same level of IvorT.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

He's harmless enough and has had minimal influence in the UK market since he bought the company in 1987. Like all single minded company owners, he has his acolytes. believe it or not, I don't think I was ever one of them as I've argued the toss many times on the HUG forum. The far east buys products on status and cachet and their thin-wall apartments suit Harbeth thin-wall speakers very well.

Me, I discovered that JBL have an updated 4312 model in the LSR6332 (12" bass, 5" mid and small dome tweeter) which has 90db efficiency and apparently a FAR better midrange to the squawking racket of the 70's version. They'd be under £2000 the pair I believe (4412's were £1300 or so fifteen years ago)

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/reco ... 0R3XGz2at8
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Hi Rikardo, and as no-one else seems to have said it, welcome to HFS. As you'll have realised by now, if you ask for an opinion on one thing you'll get at least three opinions on something you don't own, a couple of opinions on why you should own something you didn't ask about, several more pointing out why the things you don't own are as bad as the one thing you do own, and if you're really really lucky, an answer to your actual question, but don't rely on that last one happening. Everyone has an opinion about everything and everyone has the definitive answer to the question you may or may not have asked, and will give it to you whether required to or not. Most of these things apply to most hifi forums. They just shout a bit louder then some at HFS.
I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there are lots of stupid answers.

OK chaps. Carry on. :whistle:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pointless questions about pointless facilities, so what is your answer to him Slinger.

Mine was basically do what you like as it will make little to no difference, I am sure that got across.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well I welcomed him, but that post got lost in cyberspace.......
As for advice, fuk it, I tried, you can lead a horse to water. :doh:
Spend his dosh on shit if he wants..... ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My problem with Project is consistency of motivation. The only important thing for them it seems is turnover and profit, so they build for different motives. They obviously have good designer(s) and some products are built to sell through sound quality, some like this one are pure bullshit designed to sell by saying and showing all the current forum and magazine bullshit.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

slinger you do realise you moaned about people not answering the question and didn't answer the question :lol:

there is.no answer to the question except ffs try it yourself.

rikardo1979
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by rikardo1979 »

slinger wrote:Hi Rikardo, and as no-one else seems to have said it, welcome to HFS. As you'll have realised by now, if you ask for an opinion on one thing you'll get at least three opinions on something you don't own, a couple of opinions on why you should own something you didn't ask about, several more pointing out why the things you don't own are as bad as the one thing you do own, and if you're really really lucky, an answer to your actual question, but don't rely on that last one happening. Everyone has an opinion about everything and everyone has the definitive answer to the question you may or may not have asked, and will give it to you whether required to or not. Most of these things apply to most hifi forums. They just shout a bit louder then some at HFS.
I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there are lots of stupid answers.

OK chaps. Carry on. :whistle:
this is brilliant :happy-jumpeveryone: you just made my day, and I mean it :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is the best reply I have seen in months. And I am on many forums, as user or admin, mod or what ever. But you deserve a :guiness;

Its so funny but so true in same time :clap:
  • AMP -Sugden A21; Pioneer SC-LX59 Home cinema
  • Speakers - Spendor D7 (Special Ebony finish)
  • Analogue - Clearaudio Concept MM
  • Phono - Clearaudio Nano
  • Digital - Philips CD753 with TDA1549; AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO; Sony BDP-S500
  • RCM - Project VC-S
  • Cables - Chord Epic Twin speaker cables; DIY Inteconnects (Van Damme)
[/size][/font]