MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by savvypaul »

Bigman seems to take one step forward (playing it relatively straight at AOS) and then 2 steps backward (another attempt to muddy the waters, and a juvenile post, at AT).

:roll:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

how is he doing that?
he's agreeing with what doc said.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Doesn't read that way to me. If the differences between the two are presentational then one or other is not "easily the best in show".

That bit is relatively subtle. The 2 'arse cheek' emojis below it, less so.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

YN wrote:I don't think bake-offs are particularly good for forming opinions though, no better than a show at any rate.
That made me laugh.

The thread on AoS is becoming another one of those "I wasn't at the bake-off but I'm going to express an opinion on it anyway" threads.

When it comes to people like YNWOAN, bake-offs are not a level playing field. If the product that they are rooting for wins, they make a song and dance about it. :happy-jumpeveryone:
If the product that they are emotionally attached to loses they either keep quiet :shhh: or pick on any flaw, no matter how small in proportion to the overall performance and go on and on and on about that, or they bullshit and bluster and obfuscate :bulls1: EG "Well I thought mine sounded better"

Wheras for anyone with integrity, if they win a bake-off they say so in a clear and concise manner and then move on in life. If they lose a bake-off they say so in a clear and concise manner and move on in life.

It's not a level playing field. And that's not cricket!

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 pm Doesn't read that way to me. If the differences between the two are presentational then one or other is not "easily the best in show".

That bit is relatively subtle. The 2 'arse cheek' emojis below it, less so.
The two arse cheeks are about the first part of the post in regards to the "marketing" jibe

The comment is what I thought then and think now. It wasn't presentation it was sheer class. It beat EVERYTHING and easily IMO. But I don't know what I am talking about so you should ignore this too.

There are no steps forward or back, there is only truth. I agree with the statements about how good the NVa2 is. I may also concede that with a better track, the Phono 1 would probably have got the same glowing report I did about the 2, but based on one track, which I really didn't like, I have written my honest experience of it. It's not fair to make a final assessment of any of the Kit there based on one track and that goes no matter what won the day! In the test room, with the gear there, the Tron sounded very good, I liked it very much. At home I don't like it. Just because I haven't pulled trees about a single unit (other than the Phono 2! FFS) Doesn't mean in your house it won't be amazing.

This idea that I will change my stance/mind/opinion due to peer pressure, however many not agree with me, is silly. I won't. It was a one off event that had great kit and a good attendance. It was a really enjoyable day.

I wrote what I heard. It's ok with me if others felt differently, it's not ok with this contingent here for me to feel differently.

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

Right, I am off for good this time. The Bakeoff happened, as I said it would, and I'm glad I got to be part of the event.

It was great to hear your gear Richard and as I said, the phono 2 was exemplary. I will recommend it and hope to hear one again soon. Hopefully I can get the Phono1 in a better suited genre to me and give it a thorough listening to. Not that you need my opinion. Nick's if far more experienced and carries the weight of his knowledge and standing in the audio community.

Anyhoo, it's been fun!

☮️

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Bigman80, you left without answering my question about whether you think I'm impartial or not.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I was wrong Firey is going to clutch at straws. From AoS

"NVA MC loading is 470 ohm, not known beforehand, Firebottle MC loading (on the day) was 100 ohm. Make of that what you will"

As explained earlier in the thread it would make feck all difference to the performance of the NVA phono circuit if it was 470 or 100ohms.

Bigman did it as well yesterday on Audio Talk, focusing of the NVA picking up the signal ident noise of a mobile phone. Looking for angles, anything to deflect attention away from the reality of the situation. I am waiting for the usual one when I am better than another product "the product may be good but would you buy it from him" I am sure this will appear soon.

It is games like this in the past in their forum marketing that so pissed me off, it seems it will continue.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Firey is a bloke knocking up DIY valve amps in his back room. NVA is a proper brand and business. I think that says it all. Which would you have more faith in in terms of quality and support? I long ago concluded that AOS is no longer about hi-fi. Perhaps they should rename it AOE (Art of Ego).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 am It is games like this in the past in their forum marketing that so pissed me off, it seems it will continue.
That's all they have left, now.
I am in the hi-fi trade