Moving on - upgrading MM to MC, or..?

All general audio posts go here.
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Moving on - upgrading MM to MC, or..?

Unread post by Macca »

I'd suggest that Nagaokas share some similarities in character with SPUs although I have only heard an SPU (gold) the one time.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

The only Nagaoka I've heard was the Mp11 boron. Horrible thing: Tinny, wispy and annoying. If it was a creature it would be a mosquito. Is that typical of Nagaokas or an aberration?

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

My only experience of Nags is from a long time ago when the MP11 & its Boron brother were the darlings of the budget-end. The MP11 was fat, overblown, way too rich for me. It was as though a loudness button had been pressed, I didn't like it at all. Tried it in a couple of mates' turntables/systems and we came to the same conclusion. Sure it sounded 'nice' but some folk like to have 3 sugars in their tea. :D
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Two very different impressions of he MP11 there. I would say that Gromit's assesment is closer to mey own experience. Andrew I think your example must have had some issue as it is a very full sounding cart definately not thin or wispy. Think a slightly more sophisticated Stanton 500.

The MP30 and MP50 are far more refined but are still quite full sounding and have that 'golden glow' to them that is the opposite of 'clinical'.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I wish it were the case Macca but we used to sell them in the shop I worked at, so I heard a few. We had two fitted to demo decks so they were well run in. I also fitted a few to Regas for customers and heard them in their homes as well as the shop.

Others who worked there hated them for the same reason but customers wanted them because of the mags opinions.

Edit: we could also be talking "apples and oranges" here, as my experience only covers the boron cantilever version