Windows 10 - best thing since you know what, or total pants?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Windows 10 - best thing since you know what, or total pa

Unread post by terrybooth »

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6vmNz-PhE[/BBvideo]

Anyone seen the new Windows 10 advert - strap line 'because these kids will grow up with Windows 10.

Does that mean no more upgrades for 20 years or so?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

My thoughts for what they are not worth, more Merricrap bullshit and greed, What was wrong with Windows 3.1 eh it still works for me, I still can't use it so it works, as it was designed or NOT to be unfriendly. Just more :Bllocks: :angry-fire: :angry-screaming: :angry-steamingears:
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is all marketing :Bllocks: our lives are dominated by it.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I started out using DOS, and then started to see these adverts in the magazines for something called Windows that made DOS look pretty. That's when the rot started. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Upgrading from Windows 7 seems nicer than on launch. I 'did' the workroom PC at the weekend. It can see the other Windows 10 computer but nobody else can access it on our home network. None of the trouble-shooters fixed it. Foolishly, I did a system re-set and lost the old Intellimouse optical mouse, one or two USB hubs and ALL the software program/apps (I was warned beforehand and a list of apps to re-install is provided on the desktop, the icons of which have totally disappeared :( ).

I'll get used to it, eventually...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Just worked my way through the W10 settings. Turned off everything I don't think I need and that Microsoft doesn't need to know.

Seems to have speeded things up quite considerably. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Lazmo
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

A very wise move Fretless although you may want to consider that even using windows 7 + 8.1 microsoft are and will release updates to cover these issue's as they know the computer savvy will disable them like this one in this months critical updates
the awesome return of 3080149 - you know, the data sucking update you've declined how many months in a row now??

Personally if this bothers you and it does me then purely from a security personal data point of view i think it will be a monthly job now to keep these things under check business has teams of admins to update and patch systems servers etc looks like microsoft want us all to be our own tech department :shock: :o :geek: :lol: :lol:

Who knew using a pc could be fraught with danger for the average user ?
Anyways there are easier ways for peeps to combat some of this and one solution for windows 10 is here they also do a rather good defragging prog too :grin:

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Having lately been perplexed by a peice of nasty software called ( AKick pc doctor ) which worked it's way onto my farther's pc i have acquired another pc to which i am installing a linux based OP's system called Mint and hope to slowly as i learn more about it make it my main system i am becoming more and more disillusioned by windows and what now seems the permanent state of maintenance to keep the machine clean unvirused unmalwared and just generally in good order.

I must admit i personally dont suffer from many issue's but my farther and many people i know seem to of course that can be put down to the way the pc is used and by who good pc house keeping as i call it makes a hell of a difference to how the machine feels/runs but i think in this enviroment of drive by virus drops on web sites and hacked this hacked that the security of a windows machine is becoming an ever more time consuming job to get it right.

That is apart from this mentality microsoft now seem to use with its newer operating sytems that the computer is there property and they just allow you to use it and they will update it with whatever and whenever they choose to in the future you will have no control over this.

Microsoft seem to think the future of there free software windows 10 ( it wont be free for long) is in a android type enviroment where you will have a store which you will buy your software from much like Google Play for android etc but also if you decide you want to install your own software from wherever it will not allow this unless it is approved and certificate licensed to them i am led to believe.

Thus ruling out more of your own choice as to what and how it is installed on your!! machine

So a move away from windows to a linux based machine and a far less (problematic enviroment) for now! seems to make sense to me it will be a slow process but one i hope to persevere with and make the transition to at some point in the future .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Apple and linux need not read this thread :grin: :lol: :dance:
Beresford Caiman Ipod

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I used 'Shutup10' on both my Windows 10 computers and it seems to work really well. I'm still in the dark ages using Internet Explorer, although admit Chrome can be less resource sapping. I've set IE not to accept third party cookies and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Glary Utilities, as well as Super Anti-Spyware and these three seem to keep things covered. I'm used to the start menu now and am starting to find Windows 7 a bit fussy looking :oops:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...