Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Customer selecting machine that should be installed at MCRU

It gives you a free fuse or mains lead (cheaper type)

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

So he knew he had a problem yet he put it in the bake-off and you say we are inventing a conspiracy,
If you remember we had a moment of unexpected LF oscillation with the phono you brought to the previous meeting. So I assumed that the problem Dave had had was the same one and would be fixed by not putting all the boxes on top of each other (which you blamed the problem on I think).

If we had decided not to use the NVA phono, I think you would be still calling it a conspiracy.

Lurcher300b

Did they turn the volume up enough ? What was the low output cartridge being used? Strange they were playing everything very loud rather than 'normal' levels. Obviously they like PA systems.
Yes, as I said at AT, the volume on the preamp was turned to maximum. The cartridge being used was the one that Dom from NWA had brought (again, in my and others write up). Ignoring all those passive aggressive words like "strange" and "Obviously" I adjusted the volume to where people were telling me, if I had not tried to get the NVA to the same level, you would be claiming yet another foul on that basis.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Reading what Ywanker had to say on Audiofart it seems to me that the purpose of the event was to shill the Paradise and Arkless Phono stages. To best achieve this the NVA needed to be present and under performing.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:19 pm What is the output of doms moving coil. I suspect it is a very low output.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:26 am Reading what Ywanker had to say on Audiofart it seems to me that the purpose of the event was to shill the Paradise and Arkless Phono stages. To best achieve this the NVA needed to be present and under performing.
That idea is frankly preposterous. :o

An insult to David and Nick who don't even shill, or promote their own (Nicks) products, let alone those of a third party.

Very bad form.

Lurcher300b

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:27 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:19 pm What is the output of doms moving coil. I suspect it is a very low output.
He says its .35mv, but I think its lower than that.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am
Did they turn the volume up enough ? What was the low output cartridge being used? Strange they were playing everything very loud rather than 'normal' levels. Obviously they like PA systems.
Yes, as I said at AT, the volume on the preamp was turned to maximum. The cartridge being used was the one that Dom from NWA had brought (again, in my and others write up). Ignoring all those passive aggressive words like "strange" and "Obviously" I adjusted the volume to where people were telling me, if I had not tried to get the NVA to the same level, you would be claiming yet another foul on that basis.
It must be a very low output then. I think Richard mentioned only Audio Note IO had been a problem in his experience. Wonder if there are design similarities here. Also depends what Dave ordered in terms of gain, though I don't think that is critical at all with most MC cartridges.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Lurcher300b

CN211276 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:26 am Reading what Ywanker had to say on Audiofart it seems to me that the purpose of the event was to shill the Paradise and Arkless Phono stages. To best achieve this the NVA needed to be present and under performing.
That may be how its being presented elsewhere, but it was not the reason. Assuming the worst, whats in it for MCRU to promote two phono stages one of which you can't buy as it was a DIY project with restricted PCB's and the other is a prototype that may or may not ever go into production.

BTW, the two LDA phono's there the £200 MM and £1400 MCj3 are both sold direct rather than via Dave.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:42 am
That idea is frankly preposterous. :o

An insult to David and Nick who don't even shill, or promote their own (Nicks) products, let alone those of a third party.

Very bad form.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The event was hosted by someone who sells £130 potentially dangerous illegal fuses and £600 kettle leads.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc