Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Unread post by slinger »

I received an email from Jo Maugham and the Good Law Project this morning - as a supporter I get quite regular updates. -
which I've reproduced for you below.
Hi Paul,

More‌ ‌than‌ ‌600‌ ‌frontline‌ ‌healthcare‌ ‌workers‌ ‌have‌ ‌lost‌ ‌their‌ ‌lives‌ ‌to‌ ‌COVID-19‌ ‌trying‌ ‌to‌ ‌protect‌ ‌us‌ ‌and‌ ‌our‌ ‌loved‌ ‌ones.‌ ‌Yet‌ ‌this‌‌ ‌Government‌ ‌continues‌ ‌to‌ ‌deny‌ ‌the‌ ‌bereaved‌ ‌families‌ ‌the‌ ‌explanations‌ ‌they‌ ‌deserve‌ ‌-‌ ‌because‌ ‌it‌ ‌doesn’t‌ ‌want‌ ‌the‌ ‌political‌ ‌embarrassment‌ ‌of‌ ‌a‌ ‌public‌ ‌inquiry‌ ‌into‌ ‌‌whether‌ ‌its‌ ‌failures‌ ‌on‌ ‌PPE‌ ‌have‌ ‌contributed‌ ‌to‌ ‌their‌ ‌deaths.‌ ‌ ‌

Last‌ ‌week‌ ‌a‌ ‌damning‌ ‌report‌ ‌from‌ ‌the‌ ‌‌National‌ ‌Audit‌ ‌Office‌‌ ‌found‌ ‌serious‌ ‌failures‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌supply‌ ‌of‌ PPE.‌ ‌The‌ ‌NAO‌ ‌recommended,‌ ‌as‌ ‌we‌ ‌have‌ ‌for‌ ‌months,‌ ‌that:‌ ‌‌"a‌ ‌‌comprehensive‌ '‌lessons‌ ‌learned'‌ ‌exercise‌ ‌involving‌ ‌all‌ ‌the‌ ‌main‌ ‌stakeholders,‌ ‌including‌ ‌local‌ ‌government‌ ‌and‌ ‌representatives‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌workforce‌ ‌and‌ ‌suppliers‌ ‌should‌ ‌be‌ ‌conducted”‌,‌ ‌including‌ ‌‌"of‌ ‌whether‌ ‌any‌ ‌issues‌ ‌with‌ ‌PPE provision‌ ‌or‌ ‌use‌ ‌might‌ ‌have‌ ‌contributed‌ ‌to‌ ‌Covid-19‌ ‌infections‌ ‌or‌ ‌deaths."‌ ‌ ‌

With‌ ‌Doctors’‌ ‌Association‌ ‌UK‌ ‌which‌ ‌represents‌ ‌29,000‌ ‌medics‌ ‌and‌ ‌‌Hourglass‌,‌ ‌we‌ ‌are‌ ‌‌now‌ ‌pursuing‌ ‌our‌ ‌legal‌ ‌action‌‌ ‌against‌ ‌Government‌ ‌for‌ ‌its‌ ‌continued‌ ‌refusal‌ ‌to‌ ‌hold‌ ‌a‌ ‌public‌ ‌inquiry‌ ‌into‌ ‌whether‌ ‌‌PPE‌ ‌failures‌ ‌contributed‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌deaths‌ ‌or‌ ‌illness‌ ‌of‌ ‌NHS‌ ‌staff‌ ‌and‌ ‌careworkers.‌ ‌

Read‌ ‌our‌ ‌‌letter‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌Health‌ ‌Secretary,‌ ‌Matt‌ ‌Hancock‌.‌ ‌ ‌

You‌ ‌may‌ ‌recall‌ ‌we‌ ‌first‌ ‌launched‌ ‌our‌ ‌legal‌ ‌proceedings‌ ‌back‌ ‌‌in‌ ‌May.‌ ‌On‌ ‌11‌ ‌June,‌ ‌a‌ ‌week‌ ‌after‌ ‌we‌ ‌filed,‌ ‌the‌ ‌NAO‌ ‌announced‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌holding‌ ‌a‌ ‌review‌ ‌into:‌ ‌‌“the‌ ‌preparedness‌ ‌and‌ ‌response‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌supply‌ ‌of‌ ‌PPE‌ ‌in‌ ‌England,‌ ‌including‌ ‌the‌ ‌scale‌ ‌of‌ ‌and‌ ‌reasons‌ ‌for‌ ‌shortfalls‌ ‌in‌ ‌supply”.‌ ‌ ‌

In‌ ‌the‌ ‌‌Health‌ ‌Secretary’s‌ ‌response‌‌ ‌to‌ ‌our‌ ‌Judicial‌ ‌Review‌ ‌claim,‌ ‌he‌ ‌promised:‌ ‌“emerging‌ ‌findings‌ ‌will‌ ‌be‌ ‌shared‌ ‌with‌ ‌officials‌ ‌in‌ ‌late‌ ‌August‌ ‌or‌ ‌early‌ ‌September,‌ ‌which‌ ‌will‌ ‌allow‌ ‌Government‌ ‌to‌ ‌benefit‌ ‌from‌ ‌its‌ ‌findings‌ ‌as‌ ‌soon‌ ‌as‌ ‌possible.”‌ ‌We‌‌, therefore,‌ ‌agreed‌ ‌to‌ ‌pause‌ ‌our‌ ‌challenge‌ ‌until‌ ‌Government‌ ‌had‌ ‌had‌ ‌a‌ ‌chance‌ ‌to‌ ‌reflect‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌outcome‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌NAO’s‌ ‌review.‌ ‌ ‌

The‌ ‌Government‌ ‌has‌ ‌now‌ ‌had‌ ‌the‌ ‌NAO‌ ‌report‌ ‌for‌ ‌some‌ ‌time‌ ‌-‌ ‌it‌ ‌received‌ ‌a‌ ‌draft‌ ‌copy‌ ‌weeks‌ ‌before‌ ‌it‌ ‌was‌ ‌published.‌ ‌Yet‌ ‌‌Government‌ ‌has‌ ‌this‌ ‌week‌ ‌again‌ ‌refused‌‌ ‌what‌ ‌we‌ ‌regard‌ ‌as‌ ‌its‌ ‌legal‌ ‌obligation‌ ‌to‌ ‌hold‌ ‌a‌ ‌public‌ ‌inquiry.‌ ‌

Everything‌ ‌-‌ ‌the‌ ‌need‌ ‌the‌ ‌NAO‌ ‌identifies‌ ‌for‌ ‌lessons‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌learned‌ ‌and‌ ‌the‌ ‌moral‌ ‌case‌ ‌for‌ ‌bereaved‌ ‌families‌ ‌of‌ ‌frontline‌ ‌healthcare‌ ‌workers‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌heard‌ ‌-‌ ‌is‌ ‌being‌ ‌subordinated‌ ‌to‌ ‌Government's‌ ‌political‌ ‌expediency.‌ ‌ ‌

‌It's‌ ‌morally‌ ‌deplorable‌ ‌and‌ ‌-‌ ‌we‌ ‌believe‌ ‌-‌ ‌legally‌ ‌wrong.‌ ‌We‌ ‌will‌ ‌pursue‌ ‌them‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌courts.‌ ‌

Thank‌ ‌you‌ ‌for‌ ‌‌your‌ ‌support,

Jolyon Maugham QC
Director of Good Law Project

I love these guys. They're a voice in the wilderness, but still, they are a voice. I cannot think of anyone, or any organisation, attempting to hold this government to account so rigorously, or, actually, hold them to account at all. Most of the press is either under the ownership of Conservatives and their donors, or is expected to maintain a low-ish profile on anything too damaging. It gives me visions of owners and editors rushing Fawlty-like around newsrooms across the country shouting "Don't mention the Brexit debacle. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it."

Jo Maugham and his merry band seem to be if not the only voice, then certainly the loudest voice opposing both that attitude and the government's "Bugger off, we're in charge and we'll do what we bloody well like, old son," style of leadership which is partly defined by the inherent and rampant chumocracy within.

As is fairly usual for me, my posts in this vein are coloured by my politics, and are, ultimately and almost inevitably, personal. If you agree though, and you've got a couple of quid going spare, please support The Good Law Project here.

I'd also be very interested to hear DQ's thoughts on them, as the closest to an 'inside the law' voice we have here.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Matt Handjob actually broke down and cried at scenes of the vaccine being used this morning, or as it was described on Twitter (and I really wish this line had been mine) "Matt Hancock, on TV, crying with all the sincerity of a father appealing for the safe return of his daughter knowing she's buried under his new garage floor."

[media]https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1 ... mp4?tag=13[/media]

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Despicable! It's all theatre - but you see better acting at the school nativity play (if they were allowed!)
what about his weeping for his grandfather? Who turned out to be his step-sister's step-grandfather twice removed? I'm probably more closely related to the Queen!
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 2):
NSNO2021 (Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:32 pm) • slinger (Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:54 pm)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

If I were attempting to come up with some sort of excuse for Hanbdjob about the only thing I could say is that he's far too stupid to think these things up for himself. and much like Trump was for Putin, Mattbeth is the Conservative party's "useful idiot."
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
ArloFlynn (Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:18 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Netherlands is following Germany's example and going into a Hard Lockdown as of tomorrow.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:55 pm The Netherlands is following Germany's example and going into a Hard Lockdown as of tomorrow.
They have acted responsibly and I ubdertand the Chez Rep has joined them. I can see the easing of restrictions over Christmas here with schools staying open being the governments biggest Covid cock up yet and that is saying something. Hospitals could be swamped in January.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm going to start this post with an apology. It's long, it's a C&P job from two newspaper articles - dated yesterday, and today - and the result has made me actually, physically angry. Please bear with me if you can. Thank you.

COVID-19: For the first time in its history UNICEF will help feed children in the UK
UNICEF says it is the first time in its 70-year history that it has responded to a UK "domestic emergency".

For the first time, UNICEF has launched a domestic emergency response in the UK to help feed children hit by the COVID-19 crisis.

The UN agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide has likened the effect of the coronavirus pandemic on youngsters to that of the Second World War.

Since the first national lockdown in March, the number of families struggling to make ends meet and access food has grown, as the economy has suffered and vital jobs been lost.

In May, a YouGov poll commissioned by the charity Food Foundation found that 2.4 million children (17%) were living in food-insecure households. And by October it said an extra 900,000 children had been registered for free school meals.

UNICEF has now pledged a grant of £25,000 to the charity School Food Matters which will use the money to supply thousands of breakfast boxes over the two-week Christmas school holidays to vulnerable children and families in Southwark, south London.

Each Box will provide enough food for 10 breakfasts across the Christmas holiday.

Anna Kettley, of UNICEF UK, said: "We feel it's critical to come together at this time.

"It's the first time which we're recognising that this is an unprecedented situation which requires everyone to roll their sleeves up, step in and support children and families that need it most at this time."

Donna Cadman lost her husband to motor neurone disease in August last year and says his death devastated her and her three children both emotionally and financially.

She describes her breakfast food box from School Food Matters as a "godsend".

"It was hard, I was going without food, just skipping meals and going with a sandwich or maybe a tin of food, and giving all I had to the children and going without as long as I could," she told Sky News.

"Bringing up three children is hard and the school and charity really helped us a heck of a lot and I can't thank them enough for what they've done for us."

Reema-Gee Reid is the headteacher at Hollydale Primary School in Southwark - one of the beneficiaries of the food boxes.

She said: "Teachers have found that children focus better in class, and when they focus better you can challenge them more knowing that they're not underperforming because they're just hungry."

For more than 70 years UNICEF has worked in 190 countries across the globe to try to reach the most vulnerable children.

The devastating effects of the coronavirus pandemic mean that the UK has now been added to the list.

SOURCE

Embarrassing? Sickening? Infuriating? Yes, it is, all of those and more. This should not be necessary in the sixth richest country in the world.

GOVERNMENT RESPONSE

Jacob Rees Mogg says UNICEF should be 'ashamed' for feeding Britain's hungry kids
The top Tory was condemned by Labour for branding the decision by the UN agency to help needy children as a 'political stunt'

Tory millionaire Jacob Rees-Mogg went to war with UNICEF after the UN agency stepped in to feed hungry British children.

The Commons Leader launched a blistering attack on its decision to grant £25,000 so kids could be fed in South London.

UNICEF - which is known for providing disaster relief in some of the world's poorest countries - said it would help feed 1,800 needy children over Christmas for the first time in its 70-year history.

Labour MP Zarah Sultana denounced the "grotesque inequality" in the Commons, as she said the wealthy few were enjoying "obscene riches" while children go hungry.

Addressing Mr Rees-Mogg, she said: "From Tory donors handed billions in dodgy contracts to people like the Leader of the House, who is reportedly in line to receive an £800,000 dividend payout this year.

"So will (he) give Government time to discuss the need to make him and his super-rich chums pay their fair share so that we can end the grotesque inequality that scars our society?"

Senior Tory, Mr Rees-Mogg, replied: “It's a real scandal that UNICEF should be playing politics in this way when it is meant to be looking after people in the poorest and most deprived countries in the world, where people are starving, where there are famines and there are civil wars – and they make cheap political points of this kind, giving, I think, £25,000 to one council.

"It is a political stunt of the lowest order.”

He added: “UNICEF should be ashamed of itself.”

But Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner said Mr Rees-Mogg and the rest of the government were the ones who should be "ashamed" of themselves "for letting our children go hungry".

She said: "In one of the richest countries in the world, our children should not be forced to rely on a charity that usually works in war zones and in response to humanitarian disasters.

The only scandal here is this rotten Tory government leaving 4.2 million children living in poverty, a number that will only rise due to the coronavirus crisis.

SNP MP Tommy Sheppard said: "These ridiculous comments show just how out-of-touch with reality Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest of the Tories are.

"The scandal is that UNICEF has had to step in to feed hungry children in the UK – it is the UK government that should be ashamed of itself."

He added: "The Tories spent a decade imposing brutal austerity cuts, which pushed children and families into poverty and hardship even before the pandemic and received criticism from the UN Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty.

"Now they dare to feign anger at the fact that a UN body is stepping in to help. If the situation weren’t so dire these comments from the Leader of the House would be laughable."

Asked if Boris Johnson agreed with Mr Rees-Mogg, the PM's official spokesman said: “I would point to the action we’ve taken to make sure children haven’t gone hungry throughout the pandemic.

You’ll know we expanded eligibility for free school meals, extended our holiday activities and food programme.

We also pledged an additional £16m for food distribution charities.”

Asked again if the PM agreed with Mr Rees-Mogg the spokesman said: “I personally haven’t seen those comments and I haven’t asked the Prime Minister about them.”

The row comes after Unicef said the coronavirus pandemic was the most urgent crisis affecting children since the Second World War.

The families in Southwark, south London, will receive 18,000 breakfasts which will be distributed by schools for two weeks when they break up.

The programme will also provide 6,750 breakfasts to families over the February half-term break.

Anna Kettley, director of programmes at UNICEF UK, said: "This is UNICEF's first-ever emergency response within the UK, introduced to tackle the unprecedented impact of the coronavirus crisis and reach the families most in need.

"The grant for School Food Matters will address the gap in current provision for children, providing approximately 1,800 children with breakfast bags during the Christmas holidays and February half term.

"This funding will help build stronger communities as the impact of the pandemics worsen, but ultimately a longer-term solution is needed to tackle the root causes of food poverty, so no child is left to go hungry."

SOURCE

I didn't think it was possible to feel any more disgust for the lanky, louche, loathsome, languid, lump of leprous lying lobcockery. But I found it much easier than I had previously imagined after reading this story.

If you were looking for something to hold up, point at, and say "THIS is modern Conservatism," (apart from whatever Priti Patel utters, obviously) this is probably it. I am having to mentally restrain myself. The urge to call him an over-privileged, elitist, c*nt s almost overwhelming.

All of those billions of quid handed out to the government's friends and family for missing, or unusable PPE, and UNICEF has stepped in to feed our children.

UNICEF doesn't fuck around with political stunts you twat, Rees-Mogg. Get nanny to Look up the word "humanitarian" for you this evening, in your first edition Oxford English Dictionary, and tell her to dispatch the answer to you post-haste - via a footman - with said definition written in the blood of virgins upon a freshly prepared piece of vellum.

You may find it instructive. More likely though, you'll have a jolly good chuckle that such a thing could have actually existed once, for surely it couldn't still survive in this future?

If you made it this far, I thank you for reading this.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:26 pm) • CN211276 (Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:20 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

This does not surprize me. What I would give for two minutes alone with Rees Mong and no witnesses.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

CN211276 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 pm This does not surprize me. What I would give for two minutes alone with Rees Mong and no witnesses.
Forgot to say with a base ball bat.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION