Yep, that was pretty much my reaction to it. :D
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pioneer PL71 for sale on AoS

Unread post by Gromit »

terrybooth wrote:Sorry Gromit. :pray:
Hey...it's only a record player. :snooty:
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jandl100 »

Excellent! - I'm glad it's worked out well for you, Terry.
-- and t'was very nice to meet you and spend a couple of pleasant hours chatting and listening to some music.

(BTW, folks, Terry's the one in blue in his avatar :shock: :lol: )

Invest in a Reso-mat for the PL-71, as well - as I said, I found it worked really well. (Get the version made for the Technics tt, as it cunningly avoids the lip at the rim of the PL-71 platter ;) ). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESO-MAT-TURN ... 2a1fc947ce

And sorry, Gromit, for forgetting my promise of 1st refusal when I came to sell it. :doh: :oops:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I was looking at the Reso-mat's last night. (And Denon 103s). So I think that will be on the shopping list. I just want to get to grips with the sound of the basic deck and make sure I've got the basic set up satisfactory before I start modding.

Thank you for your hospitality. I'm not sure I should thank you for playing me music because I found myself listening and thinking that the deck didn't sound like I heard it at yours :? (sound of lots of expensive upgrades for me). And than you for introducing me to what'shername. Told you I'd forget! :oops:

PS where is your review of that deck going to appear?

jandl100

Whatsername ... Loreena McKennit - just buy it!

:clap:

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita »

terrybooth wrote:I was looking at the Reso-mat's last night. (And Denon 103s). ...
I intruding having some experience with this turntable (although presently it is relegated to the bottom of a wardrobe, as I prefer my two Technics SP15).
So, having tried it for a long time even in comparison with other turntables, I think the choice of the Denon DL 103 is not the best one, despite the fact that the arm of the PL71 would have the right mass. The problem, in my opinion, is that the DL 103 requires to play with a downward force rather high (for my taste, around 3g or even more for ideal tracking) and this is a drawback for a motor that is not so much powerfull like the PL71. Consider also that it is not quarz controlled.
Instead, I appreciated very much this TT with the lighter Denon DL 160 (somewhat similar to DL 110), which among other things also has the advantage of requiring less gain in the phono stage (it is sufficient to set it for a MM chartridge).
With regard to the mat, then I would say that is absolutely not a matter of urgency, if you have the original one, that's fine.

Ciao, Siro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The original mat is better than any other I have tried, and I have tried a few. The PL71 is a synergy that is better not to mess around with. I have to disagree about the DL 103 it is fine cart and matches into the PL71 synergy, though I add extra weight to the headshell for it. If there was a problem with motor load it would show up on piano music and it doesn't. I would prefer a SPU if you want MC or a Decca London if you want MM, but the DL103 is a very good choice.

BTW don't use a record weight or any other extras, just enjoy it and leave it alone.

There is one mod I use though I had forgotten about, because I like adding weight into the headshell I got speedy steve (access him on PFM or AoS) to do me extra counter weights so I have lots of options for different carts.

jandl100

The Reso is a different type of mat to pretty much any others around, so you really have to give it a spin before passing judgement, I think.
Tell you what, Terry - it doesn't suit my new tt, so I'll send you mine to try out if you let me know your address.
-- I just wish I'd thought of that when you were at my place! :doh:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'm not sure that this PL71 has the original mat - looking at pictures on 't'interweb, the original mats have a silver ring at the label position - this one hasn't. And they look to have three fairly narrow raised rings, this one has three fairly fat riased rings decreasing in size from middle to edge - 1 1/4 inch, 1 inch and 1/2 inch. However, it has no manufacturer's mark on it, so it's difficult to tell.