Has thanked: 0

Pioneer PL71 for sale on AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pioneer PL71 for sale on AoS

Unread post by jammy395 »

I will stick to my Technics thank you.....

But its a nice deck - at a great price....Tempting. :think:

selby

Unread post by selby »

If only I had some spare money...
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

YES... :D
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You really get some idiots on AoS, look at this

Today, 19:36

walpurgis

I'm Geoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJR
That pickup arm is one of the very best of its type, believe it or not and is nothing like as badly conceived as the usual detach-headshell arm that its competition all too often had.

The PL-61 and PL-71 arms are basically similar and bearing issues are not unheard of, as appears to be the problem with mine. Jerry's may well have the same issues.

This is the PL61 arm http://hifigoteborg.se/store/description.php?id=998

This is the PL71 arm http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=13206 half way down the page.

The PL61 has a uped version of the arm fitted to PL12D, it was replaced in the later series by an arm from a different manufacturer (Pioneer don't make arms) the same one Rega used for R200 but with selected and better bearings used on the PL71. It is *NOTHING* like the arm in the PL61.

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Sold before I was able to reply that I don't want it to be shipped to Poland now. :|
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita »

Anesthetise wrote:Sold before I was able to reply that I don't want it to be shipped to Poland now. :|
No surprise, the price was very attractive.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well Gromit and Anesthetise are :cry: but Terry Booth is :D

I find it amusing the stick I got on the forums when I started talking about this deck, the Linn sheep were dismissive, the Techy 1210 crowd referred to it as an old worn out deck that couldn't be repaired or kept running - funny how time changes things :roll: I have owned both Linn and Techy, and the PL71 pisses on both (but a fully upgraded 1210 is at least as good - AT A SILLY PRICE). I lent my PL71 to Gromit and he became an early convert to it.

They still haven't reached silly prices in my opinion even though mine cost me £50 on UK ebay about 5 years ago. Best place to get one is on US ebay, voltage change is easy, but expect it to get damaged in transit. I have bought three from the US and only one arrived undamaged, one slightly damaged and one a jigsaw puzzle. So buy two and keep some spares :mrgreen:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Yup - I'm somewht sad to have missed out on 'my' old PL71 but hey ho, Terry is going to really enjoy it I'm sure. The fact that the arm was brand new (what a find that was!) makes it all the more appealing - unpacking that minty-fresh PL71 arm from its OEM packaging was a special moment. :)

The other deck I had this year - a Sony PS-6750 - was also staggeringly good. I'm not a betting man but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't at least equal to the PL71. Certainly gave my modded SL1210 more than a bloody nose; the 2 or 3 chaps in my room at Scalford who were there to hear the comparison felt the same. Spinning the Sony up (when it hadn't even been set up properly) there were definite comments of 'yowzas didn't expect that'. 8-) Shame there was a serious earthing issue with the tonearm (which was an easy fix in the end) which meant an intermittent loud hum on the day and resigned the Sony back to the shelf. DC mentioned some time ago how bloody good these Sonys are and he was darn right. Fully serviceable too. :)

If someone sees a PS-8750 for sale, drop me a line ok?? Seems the PS-X7 gets good press too.

Come the spring I'm going TT shopping so will be on the look out for something, preferably Japanese, preferably from Sony or Pioneer - have even considered importing one of the big Pioneers from Japan which crop up occasionally.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Sorry Gromit. :pray:
I've just slung it together and I'm five minutes in to my first album (Talk Talk 'Spirit of Eden' found my fingers first).
The memory of getting stuck for an hour on the M6 on my trip to pick it up yesterday has faded away. I don't think I'll be parting with it quickly. It certainly seems to give all the bits of the music their own distinct voices.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro