My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

1st attemptImage

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

if it was me,i would get myself down to b&q and buy one of their cheap own brand power cross cut/mitre saws. approx £60 ish
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I'll bet Mrs DQ is very happy with the DIY work going on in the kitchen. :lol:
I have recently read on on another forum about bamboo chopping boards, and have been thinking about trying one out under my PT, with sorbothane between board and sideboard and replacing the rubber feet on the tt with oak cones and placing this on top of the bamboo board. The reason I mention this is because bamboo seems to be the in product as well and maybe you might consider bamboo for your plinth.

Daniel Quinn

She will not be when she sees it :lol: , was in bed this morning when I took it .

Sorbothane is IMO a waste of money. It as a damping factor 0.197 and a transmutability coefficient of 3.93. Newplast which is adult modelling plasticine that does not dry out or harden as a damping factor .635 and 1.42, those are some of the best figures available , better than panerholz .It costs peanuts , I have just bougth 20 quids worth and it comes in any colour you want :lol:

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

funny you should mention that,my local charity shop had a load in cheap so i bought some Plasticine to try.
i put the strips between 2 boards and stood the tt on them. i notice a difference in sonics for sure .
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Daniel Quinn

plasticines' figures are nearly as good :0.304 and 2.66. I think whatever stops newplast going hard and drying out is good for its measurements.

Going to use in my turntable isolation system with inner tubes to replace the current sand and tennis balls .

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Do these things actually make an improvement or just make it sound different? I have found Isopods work quite well with optical transports but dubious benefits elsewhere. Not tried Oak Cones as RA prices put me off when they had a monopoly on these.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

it depends on the floor . When I had a concrete floor , isolation was not that important, I played around with dozens of stuff and it wasn't much more than adding salt and pepper to a meal . My current floor is bouncy and springy and the sand and tennis balls box was a bloody revelation . Especially as you turn the volume up . The first records I played was Baba Oreily live and it was a fuck me moment.

Oobviously you can put that digital shite anywhere you like :grin:

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

"Sorbothane is IMO a waste of money. It as a damping factor 0.197 and a transmutability coefficient of 3.93. Newplast which is adult modelling plasticine that does not dry out or harden as a damping factor .635 and 1.42, those are some of the best figures available , better than panerholz .It costs peanuts , I have just bougth 20 quids worth and it comes in any colour you want :lol:"

I assume by that it would be better to place Newplast between my sideboard and the chopping board. It seems cheap enough having just looked on ebay, the only problem I could see is levelling the turntable since would the Newplast 'sink' with the weight of the tt over time?

Daniel Quinn

No idea not tried it yet. If it were me I would use it between 2 chopping boards like a sandwich . Just experiment . As it is very much dependant on the turntables surroundings , you will see at page 1 of this thread the doc said a wall shelf was the only real answer . Alas that is not possible for me , but it is the best advise.