My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by antonio66 »

Classicrock wrote:Do these things actually make an improvement or just make it sound different? I have found Isopods work quite well with optical transports but dubious benefits elsewhere. Not tried Oak Cones as RA prices put me off when they had a monopoly on these.
I have just purchased these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222095470313? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and have on order these to place between speakers and stands, if they do not work, they can be used elsewhere I guess. Other quantities can be ordered and ever copper topped ones as you can see further down the page. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281704493057? ... EBIDX%3AIT

antonio66

Daniel Quinn wrote:No idea not tried it yet. If it were me I would use it between 2 chopping boards like a sandwich . Just experiment . As it is very much dependant on the turntables surroundings , you will see at page 1 of this thread the doc said a wall shelf was the only real answer . Alas that is not possible for me , but it is the best advise.
I will let you know what I do, think I have 4 sorbothane feet hidden away somewhere so maybe try these first. A wall shelf is a no go for me also, don't know why I'm bothering really, very happy with the sound as is, especially since the recent purchase of an Arkless phono :o Bloody forums. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

At last, so you are in a position to do a comparative test against a Phono1 and write it up here. Pity there is not a fireybum thing to put up against it as well.

Let me know if you want me to post you one. Your only commitment is an honest appraisal and comparison and maybe a couple of other ears as well.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Talking of Arkless. His design changes make no sense to me. He claims to change every component while retaining the original Cambridge board leaving original components. If this was a serious venture I'm sure it would be cheaper to have new boards manufactured (saves all that soldering time + more time in the pub for him :mrgreen: ) and swap them out. Perhaps he can't pony up the cost of a production run?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think he mostly just takes things out.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

To the pub : boom boom .

to be fair - its cheap and he gets good reviews from real people. Not real reviews from wigwam arseholes .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I agree but for me it is the same battle I had with the Rega amp at AoS a few years ago, and in both cases games were played to deliberately avoid any comparison. That is not what we are about especially a supposed subjective forum like AoS. All I have wanted is the two hyped / shilled AoS favs to be compared side by side with a nva phono and the results *accurately* and *honestly* written up. I have been trying now for nearly two years with no success. It was even set up for NEBO two years ago until someone sabotaged it !!!!!!! :x

We are enthusiast and we judge things subjectively, there should be a process where all competing items can be compared, that must be good for customers, but the problem is it is not good for some suppliers, who either know they don't cut it, or are scared they don't. NVA WILL *ALWAYS* HAPPILY SUPPLY GEAR FOR *ANY* COMPARISON BAKE OFF!!!

antonio66

To be honest I would have liked to buy the Phono 2 as recommended, and then this Arkless was offered to another member on pfm who did not take up the offer. I have to say it was more within my budget as well. A friend came round to hear the Cubes last week and lent me his £40 Project phonobox to tide me over but also brought his ANT Kora 3T which has been given good reviews in the past. This was before I purchased the Arkless. Compared to the Arkless the Kora sounds curtailed at the top end and the bass not as well defined. My fiend did say he always thought the Kora to be a little 'cut off' in the higher frequencies and this is certainly true. I will say I am very happy with the Arkless having only had it for a couple of days. Off course I would do a comparison for you Doc, but I always think I am rubbish at doing so. :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well you were able to do it with those two. I am happy you got it and I am not trying to replace it. Perhaps a little bake off if we can get any other stages lent for it, I always like these things, then other ears are involved, but I am happy with just you. To get near on price how about a Phono 1 mc (if for the Lyra).

Terry can you transfer this Arkless stuff to a new thread, as it has little to do with DQ disasters.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That's a reasoble price match . Arkless plus donor price is about £300 quid .