Nait 2

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Nait 2

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Nait 2

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You have to be kidding :|

southall-1998
Wales

Don't like olives, Doc :mrgreen: :lol:
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I love olives, I eat them many times during my food week.

On a point why do Naim amps have these daft names like chrome bumper and olives. On PFM they speak reverently about them and fight each other over which they think is best :roll:

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! ........Deep Breaths...............Deep breaths...............better now.

Anyone with even two brain cells to rub together should realise just how much more you can have for that sort of money. If you want to stay within Naim's range, the far superior 42/110 sells for half that. A pair sold on EBay for £275 just days ago.

If you have three or more brain cells, you may just be able to do the sums and work out that these are within reach:

NVA P50 £199
NVA A60 mk1 £380
Sound Cord 40cm £14

Total. £593

OK, so you still need speaker cable but LS2 is cheaper and better than NAC A5 (horrible scratchy stuff IMO).

Of course, other amplifiers are available, as they say on TV. Myst Tma3, Onix OA21, Ion Obelisk, Cambridge P55 and others all outperformed the Nait.

Having heard an old metal cased AP20 "worry" my (then) 250 based amp using Naim's own CDI and SBLs, I find this obsession with the Nait depressing. The Nait can't hold a candle to any Naim chrome bumper pre/powe combo, let alone better amps.

OK, so it's their money and they are the ones who will be living with it. It's just so sad that there are so many more capable amps out there, many of whom have been sent to an early grave by this little turd of an amp. That equals many talented and desrving designers robbed of recognition and a livelihood, as well as loads of punters who could have been enjoying their music so much more, given a better amp. Nobody who heard the thing back in the day actually bought one, so how come its so much better now? Maybe it's not only wine and cheese that mature with age? Or maybe it's all the bollocks written about the thing by people who should (and I believe, do) know better :liar:

Thanks for that, Shane. Released a lot of tension I'd carried round ever since "the borrowers" nicked my CDs again :icon-lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I enjoyed that rant :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Me too! Very therapeutic. I'm just waiting for somebody to hook one up to a pair of Westminsters or similar. Unless it's already happened and I've missed it :shock:

southall-1998
Wales

Fun post, Andrew. Makes plenty of sense.... :clap:

Naim is sooooooooo over priced. Just get a bloody Exposure and enjoy!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Yeah, I agree. A while ago I got an Exposure Dual IV and two III preamps on EBay auction, all for £200. Then one dealer (Audio Gold, who clearly knew Nowt about Exposure) sold me the gigantic IX PSU for only £150!

It was definitely one of the very best amps I've had and i replaced it with something costing far more that sounded slightly worse. Whilst that setup was a real bargain, Exposure amps still sell regularly for far less than they are worth IMO. And yet again, John Farlowe failed to get the recognition and rewards he deserved. That just plain upsets me, to be honest.

The poor bloke was also treated pretty shamefully on PFM not that long ago too, when he needed to sell his own amps, but that's another story.

It just serves to illustrate my point about the damage done by the individuals who hype certain names (Naims?) to the detriment of their competitors. It's wrong, always has been and always will be. That's why I like, enjoy and support this forum. I'm sure there are many more like me and I really think HFS will grow exponentially. We can't turn back the clock and right past wrongs, but we can redress the balance in favour of the truth. The same people who are responsible for past inequities are still around too, so having the odd pop at them and making it hard for them to persist is also great sport . I'm still a learner here, but I'm enjoying the ride :dance: