The Speaker Cables

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Speaker Cables

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So do you think the improvement over 6 justifies the increased cost, because even I am struggling with that one.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I wrote this over a year ago about the LS7.

"This is my first serious listen to LS7, as the old Cubix system had LS6 on it. Well I suppose I shouldn't really comment, especially as I don't really want to make them which is why they don't get listed at ebay. They are a serious pain in the arse to make. Well I am seriously impressed they are more ahead of 6 than 6 was ahead of 5. They are like musical silk, no wrong they are like musical air - oh bollocks I can't explain it. Best to go musical.

João Gilberto and Stan Getz produced an album in the 60's called Girl from Ipanema, obviously the title track is famous with the voice of Astrud Gilberto singing for the first time (always a weak voice her daughter Bebel has a far better voice), the haunting slightly off tune and minor key emphasis of João Gilberto singing has always fascinated me, juxtaposed to Getz and his lively but empathic and *living* saxophone playing. It all lends itself beautifully to the Bossanova rhythm section of drums and acoustic guitar which is tight rhythmically but musically fluid and responsive to the leads. All in all apart from the EQed vocal of Astrud and a very strange piano recording method this is one of my fav albums of all time. So what has LS7 through Cube 2's told me - even more so that Astrud doesn't have a voice, Getz must have to hose out his saxamaphone (Homer) there is so much spit in it and finally the reason the piano sounds weird, I am now convinced it is because it is an early electric piano and not just a bad recording. The only other possibility is that it was single miked over the keys as there is no instrument body in the sound. But even so the album through the TFS has gone from beginning to end and I nearly put it on again - but I have to work otherwise you lot will start picking on me. BUT above all the emotional content has shot up, and that can only be the cable as the Cube 2 are not as good as the Cubix."

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:So do you think the improvement over 6 justifies the increased cost, because even I am struggling with that one.
That's the $64k question.

As I said, Robert & I spent a good few hours the other day comparing the cables back to back - and I should add that the LS6 had a good many more hours on it too so should've been in a more favourable position vs the 7. Looking at it this way - upgrade a source component to the same (or similar) value and you only have one area of improvement in a system which may consist of several other sources. Upgrade the cable, and it has a positive effect on the whole rig. For what the LS7 would cost in my system (ie the length needed) I'm not sure spending that amount, split between all the other sources, would bring about such an obvious improvement. This is obviously hard to say without actually trying it though.

We did both agree on the fact that yes, the jump form 6 to 7 is significant and if I had the money to spend out on it (which I absolutely haven't) then I most likely would. Yes, it does go against the grain to spend <insert here> quid on wiring your speakers up and that's the only thing which would make me baulk at it. Others would probably disagree, and I hope they do as this stuff is most certainly worth a try.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Whilst LS7 is expensive ,the pricing structure as with all NVA products is entirely transparent and there are no middlemen or excessive profiteering going on .

Thus it is truly a case of it costs what it costs and IMO it is up to the individual if they can and want to afford it and if they think it is worth it .

Price per se is not the enemy , it is simply that NVA is unique in its transparency and the rest have got something to hide in their prices .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

<insert here>

Speaker cable pricing is confusing because of differing lengths

LS7 per m £300.00 + £100 termination (yellow ID)
LS6 per m £100.00 + £60 termination (blue ID)
LS5 per m £50.00 + £40 termination (white ID)
LS3 per m £30.00 + £30 termination
LS1 per m £20.00 + £20 termination

Gromit has 5m set of LS7 which would cost him £1600.00. If he could reorganise his listening room to get the system to between the speakers then 2m set would do which would be £700.00

I know silly prices :oops: which is why I am more than a bit embarrassed by it, but four discreet cables each with 156 separately insulated silver alloy cores cost this as worked to my normal mark up.

gus3049
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I wrote this over a year ago about the LS7.

"This is my first serious listen to LS7, as the old Cubix system had LS6 on it. Well I suppose I shouldn't really comment, especially as I don't really want to make them which is why they don't get listed at ebay. They are a serious pain in the arse to make. Well I am seriously impressed they are more ahead of 6 than 6 was ahead of 5. They are like musical silk, no wrong they are like musical air - oh bollocks I can't explain it. Best to go musical.

João Gilberto and Stan Getz produced an album in the 60's called Girl from Ipanema, obviously the title track is famous with the voice of Astrud Gilberto singing for the first time (always a weak voice her daughter Bebel has a far better voice), the haunting slightly off tune and minor key emphasis of João Gilberto singing has always fascinated me, juxtaposed to Getz and his lively but empathic and *living* saxophone playing. It all lends itself beautifully to the Bossanova rhythm section of drums and acoustic guitar which is tight rhythmically but musically fluid and responsive to the leads. All in all apart from the EQed vocal of Astrud and a very strange piano recording method this is one of my fav albums of all time. So what has LS7 through Cube 2's told me - even more so that Astrud doesn't have a voice, Getz must have to hose out his saxamaphone (Homer) there is so much spit in it and finally the reason the piano sounds weird, I am now convinced it is because it is an early electric piano and not just a bad recording. The only other possibility is that it was single miked over the keys as there is no instrument body in the sound. But even so the album through the TFS has gone from beginning to end and I nearly put it on again - but I have to work otherwise you lot will start picking on me. BUT above all the emotional content has shot up, and that can only be the cable as the Cube 2 are not as good as the Cubix."
Nothing to do with the cable but this is my standard test record. Everything you say about it is correct. If the system is not right, it sounds naff. His voice can be plummy as its close miked and her voice is.....not very good (my wife can't stand it). If its right, it wonderful and bumps they do goose when that soggy sax comes in. :dance:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Please listen to Bebel Gilberto her voice is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpcg5Pg4zHY

selby

Unread post by selby »

I can see the requests for LS7 increasing...better get those wire strippers at the ready!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Please listen to Bebel Gilberto her voice is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpcg5Pg4zHY
Certainly better than Astrid. The notes I have said that she only sang on the track because she was the only one who could do it in English!!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

She was Canadian, she married Gilberto but he was a bit of a lad with the women - they divorced.

Anyway I suppose we should get back on topic. :mrgreen: