Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Goodmans Magnum K Refurb and Modification (part 2)

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I may have had a celebratory fewbut it was the phone and the train honest :D

Tim Catt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Tim Catt »

It's been a while since I made any progress with the magnums due to the fact that although they aren't complete they have been faithfully and enjoyably delivering some great sounds into my ear holes. I've also got a very young baby so time for hobbies has been in short supply!

Waffle over.

I'm about to replace the l-pads with resistors. As advised by the Doc, I have measured the value/resistance of the l-pads while they were set to a position that reproduced the most favourable audio. This is where my first question fits in because the pots have deteriorated especially at the point where the are the most open i.e exerting the least resistance so I feel I can't trust the reading. I would very much like to replicate the pot at its most open thus reproducing the most transparent sound. What would be the best method for achieving this if say the readings from the pots aren't accurate?

I would very much like to know how much the values of the to resistors (per pot) interact/influence each other and wether their values need to match each other in any way?

Also do the watts value of the replacement resistors count for anything?

FYI the values from the pots that I've retrieved so far are: MID driver pot = 75ohms & 3 to 5ohms. TWEETER pot = 15 to 16ohms and 3ohms. Do these sound right?

I know that's a lot of questions but any help regarding the above will be greatly appreciated!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The pot open means it is out of circuit, no resistance, so just take it out and join the wires.

Tim Catt

ahh, I see said the blind man. So to what do you credit the readings that I've retrieved? 75ohms in one instance is high right? Would this suggest that even when fully open the pots applied resistance?

How do you feel completely removing the resistance from this part of the cover will influence sound?

Many thanks for your quick support by the way!

Tim Catt

xover

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you are measuring in circuit then you are reading other things as well. I don't know the sonic effect you will have to suck it and see. If it was me i would just remove them. You can always add fixed resistors later.

Tim Catt

The mid range pot was measured out of circuit and the tweeter in. To be fair i've ordered some resistors of varying values so if the sound produced isn't nice I can experiment later.

I will be completing the task of pot removal this afternoon and will update accordingly..

Thanks again for your help doc!

Tim Catt

Removing the pots, sonically speaking is by far the best modification I've made to the magnums so far. It literally sounds like some one sucked the wax out of my ears! Thoroughly recommended!

So Doc, tell me. Why would Goodmans fit such terrible components on such a great pair of speakers?

Tim Catt

I will be uploading images of this modification in the near future for anyone that wants to do it but would like visual reference.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Tim Catt wrote:Removing the pots, sonically speaking is by far the best modification I've made to the magnums so far. It literally sounds like some one sucked the wax out of my ears! Thoroughly recommended!

So Doc, tell me. Why would Goodmans fit such terrible components on such a great pair of speakers?
That is the way things were done.