Speaker cables for tweeters

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Speaker cables for tweeters

Unread post by zebbo »

Having now bi-amped my Cubes, I was wondering about cables. I've initially just gone with LS1 which seems to be doing the job quite nicely but, after listening to just the tweeters this afternoon I was amazed at just how much of the overall sound they make up. I've always thought that the tweeters only filled in the very highest frequencies but these seem to extend well down the frequency range. This started me wondering if there is anything to be gained from using any of the other cables further up the range? I think LS6 & 7 is a bit extreme but what about LS3 or 5? Any thoughts?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Speaker cables for tweeters

Unread post by applemarc »

When I was comparing my old amps and speaker cable I found LS5 as good as my Purist Audio Design Dominus cable that cost a fortune new so I would try LS5 you can always send it back
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

If you can I would seriously consider getting your LS6 bi-wired.
I'm using A60 into Royds and I'm hoping to get A80s one day, and obviously I'll seek the Docs advice but I'm not sure whether bi-amping with separate cables will improve over the LS6 bi-wire. I may be wrong but I think LS6 uses two different cores to bring different qualities to each driver when bi-wire configured.
Whatever it does I love it and I was quite startled with the improvement over supplied binding post jumpers.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

selby

Unread post by selby »

I can't remember exactly but I believe one of the cables (might be the 5) is meant to sound a little brighter than the rest. I'd go for LS6 on both if you can afford it.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

I'm using LS1 for tweeters and LS3 for mid / bass following the Doc's recommendation so maybe add some LS3 - I thought the bi-wire cable was 2 connections to 4 so you can't use it for bi-amping :think: I could most probably be wrong
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

No you're correct. My LS6 were bi-wire when I first got them but I changed them back to single when I got the Logans. Neilardo, when I returned them back to single wire I found the various cores were randomly bunched together not split for specific uses.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Sod it, I've just ordered some more LS6 and we'll just have to see....... 8-)

applemarc

It's like a drug you just need more NVA
Beresford Caiman Ipod

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'm sure you will not be disappointed. My decision to move from LS5 to LS6 was pretty much a no-brainer and I would argue brought better sound to my system than more expensive upgrades might have (see Gromit's articles on the speaker cables). I'm now eyeing LS7.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

applemarc

I bought LS7 not long after I got the TDS I had LS6 and tried LS7 more expensive but once it was in the system it was not going back
Beresford Caiman Ipod