NVA AP80 Integrated

All things NVA
southall-1998
Wales

NVA AP80 Integrated

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Doc,

Do you have one lying around in good working order that you no longer use?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA AP80 Integrated

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope sorry. The problem is I don't trust the ability of the amp to be reliable long term. because the case is crammed to bursting with circuit there is not really enough heatsinking to cope with difficult speaker loads. In the past I just said don't use those type of speakers but I got fed up with repairing them so it is easier to just not make them any more. I wish I could find a way to use the mk2 type heatsinks with the bigger integrated amps but I just cant design a case to incorporate them.

southall-1998
Wales

Never mind, no problem. You can delete this thread, Doc.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is useful information so it should stay up.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Nope sorry. The problem is I don't trust the ability of the amp to be reliable long term. because the case is crammed to bursting with circuit there is not really enough heatsinking to cope with difficult speaker loads. In the past I just said don't use those type of speakers but I got fed up with repairing them so it is easier to just not make them any more. I wish I could find a way to use the mk2 type heatsinks with the bigger integrated amps but I just cant design a case to incorporate them.
Could you not just make a double-height case like the mk2 power amps? I know it wouldn't fit in with the range, but unusual shaped amps often seem to appeal. The Kelvin labs integrated springs to mind and I thought it was a lovely looking thing.

I'm sure you've probably considered and dismissed this for good reason, but I was too curios not to ask.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am inclined not to as big power supplies don't really suit being in the same case as input circuitry. That is why pre / power came about.

It is always a compromises in one box which disappear with two boxes. I could re-do the AP70 but I won't make the AP80 again, anyway they have the same power just the 80 has the better music (commensurate with price). I have too many products so I chose to remove either the AP50 or the AP70, the coin came down for the AP70 to go.

HotShotHamish

Unread post by HotShotHamish »

southall-1998 wrote:Doc,

S.
I have one with a broken facia/front panel. The unit is about 3 years old and has been unused for 2 of those years because of the crack in the front, so like mint inside.

I might be interested in selling it, depending on what it costs to get the front panel replaced.

Send me a PM if you like.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Good to hear from you Hotshot.

How did the facia get damaged ?

I have a theory (But i could be wrong) that the barbary Apes came down from the Rock in the middle of the night and kicked the facia in, because they are spiteful silly Monkeys and prefer Naim... :obscene-moneypiss:

I love Gib stayed there for years in my yoof. :clap:

southall-1998
Wales

HotShotHamish wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:Doc,

S.
I have one with a broken facia/front panel. The unit is about 3 years old and has been unused for 2 of those years because of the crack in the front, so like mint inside.

I might be interested in selling it, depending on what it costs to get the front panel replaced.

Send me a PM if you like.
Can't afford to buy anything for now. Thanks for the offer though.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well he hasn't emailed me so I will give a basic answer here. No front plates are available and they cannot be fitted separately anyway. NVA cases a made as a whole and as the case plates are acrylic welded there is no way to separate them short of breaking them. The only plate that is removable is the top plate to service the amp.

So the only solution is a new case. To rebuild your amp in a new case will cost £200 plus shipping. If you just want to repair the panel so you can use the amp then take off top plate (I will need to give instruction if you wish to do this) and glue strips of acrylic or something similar across the break to hold the panel together.