Speaker quest continues - Rogers LS6a/2

All general audio posts go here.
nerica19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Speaker quest continues - Rogers LS6a/2

Unread post by nerica19 »

Just acquired and collected this morning from local chap some fairly cheap and cheerful Rogers LS6a/2 speakers with stands. Quick switch of cables and first impressions to my average ears are that they sound fairly OK, if not as meaty and rounded as the Kef 105/3s I'm used to. Will play around with positioning this evening and connect up both amps with proper cables etc and see what happens from the perspective of the sofa. Also have dibs on a few other speaker options in the next couple of weeks to see what works best in my sitting room. Any (polite) ideas gratefully received as part of that quest...

AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Speaker quest continues - Rogers LS6a/2

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Royd :mrgreen:

nerica19

Unread post by nerica19 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Royd :mrgreen:
Indeed. Already on look out for some likely Royds within spitting distance but not much on offer at moment. Big ones or small ones? :text-imnewhere:
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Not the 7's but anything above that. There are differences but he never made less than excellent loudspeakers.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

+1 for Royds.

Wonderful speakers.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

+ 2

Lookin at em my wee Royd Eden's just shouldn't set my toes a tapping and induce a big grin......But they do. :clap: :dance:

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

+3 ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have a different view -

Royds will be funky but far more coloured tonally. ya pays ya money and takes ya choice here IMO. My favourite Royds were the Minstrel Se, which couldn't go very loud (so many were destroyed on rock music), but had a nice midband but with the 'flat-earth' tinsel in the treble to spice up vinyl :twisted:

The LS6 could sound really good and were half the price of the famous LS7 model I remember. They need space from a rear wall, unlike much of their competition which lack bass unless wall-loaded in my opinion. Used with good quality standard speaker cables and placed on 18" stands, the mids could sound excellent and very 'real' as long as the bass isn't allowed to dominate. Bass reproduction *can* be good on these, but will favour warmth over 'speed,' this latter being another term for lack of extension in many domestic speakers. Treble on the 6's should be ok now after nigh on thirty years of use...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

I agree with your comments regarding tonality vs. what Royds do, but it isn't an illusion of 'speed' due to lack of bass extension, it's just that the deeper stuff is revealed to be overhang and boom, giving the illusion of depth and extension, which Royd speakers just refuse to do…

Having said all of this they are a Marmite speaker and can totally understand why any individual would say that my Amphion Argon3s destroy them (tonality, flat in-room response and much more accurate, soundstage width and depth etc…).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's OK, I do appreciate where people here are coming from and of course, AVI's mouthpiece keeps pummelling the point that ALL passively driven speakers boom (totally untrue IMO) and sound harsh at the crossover point (sometimes true, but often because of the main driver taking off or tweeter being driven too low I believe). I also appreciate that Spendor BC1's in their heyday could sound off at mid bass frequencies (not an issue if they were pulled out and positioned high, as they often were at the BBC), but not all such derived speakers should be treated this way IMO.

I personally can't get on with the excessive 'tinsel' that many 'Flat Earth' speakers seemed to have, and that includes all Rega speakers to date, by the way. I also don't favour over-worked tiny main drivers when they're asked to reproduce big bass sounds, irrespective of how much linear travel they have, since I still think they'd be intermod effects.

Actually and this is genuine to the OP, try to find some vintage early 1970's AR speakers like 2AX, 6's and possibly 4's from memory (3's of any vintage are too pricey now as collectors items). They'll need work on driver surrounds and many cabs will be looking past their best, but the innards were good and for me at any rate, the sonics neatly bridge the extremes of BBC inspired models of the 70's and the little 80's screamers :D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...