Record cleaning

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Record cleaning

Unread post by Andrew »

I'd love some help with ideas on this topic. I've got a few records that have the odd bit of crap here and there. A few pop and even jump once or twice and I'm sure a good clean would sort them.

I've got a non alcoholic fluid from "Vinylteks" which does an ok job and doesn't seem to do lasting harm. I'm sure I can do better though. Any tips or recommendations?

I'm not up for buying a proper machine because I don't have money, space or a big enough collection to warrant it. Last time I did anything major with record cleaning, it was Hunt P3? Followed by Cantorion Discrex. Fab results, but the latter was the star of the show (Made by Dr Arwyn Charles) and is no longer around. The kit was ridiculous value so I'm guessing he couldn't make money from it. Shame.

Anybody care to chip in?

Oldpinkman

Re: Record cleaning

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but I have been really impressed by using a machine. I can't quite believe the vacuuming does anything other than leave them playably dry off the machine, so presumably the mixture used and the scrubbing process is the key. Previous cleaning methods, including a spray and peel off (similar to using wood glue) are messy, time consuming, and leave me feeling they have left something behind.

Pack your dirty albums with you the next time you are in blighty and I'll clean them for you
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Thanks, Richard.

I'm really hoping to solve the cleaning issue before shipping the lot over (and praying they don't all melt!).

Maybe I need to reconsider a machine. I could buy a sure one, clean the lot then sell it on or even store it with a mate in the UK. It's not a subject I've ever looked into, so maybe some reading is need in addition to is tending for other people's experiences.

Anyone else remember Cantorion Discrex? That guy deserved to be rich from his labours.

AntIbbots

Unread post by AntIbbots »

Doug Brady in Warrington rents out their Keith Monks machine, I think I worked out it would cost about £120 including fluid for a weekend but may be wrong.

I bought a KAB EV-1, which is basically a cheap Nitty Gritty with the vacuum cleaner removed -$169 plus delivery and customs etc. http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rcleaner.htm

Advantage is it is quite small and light (you hook up your own hoover) and the records come up looking lovely and clean but I am an unconvinced about its overall abilities with some records showing little sonic improvement and some possibly sounding worse. Perhaps it takes several cleans with the worst cases - I am too lazy to find out and find having to get the hoover out is a bit of a faff.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers for that. It's smaller and cheaper than most, so definitely worth considering. I guess the fluids used are important, so I might try it with someone else's fluid.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I used to use the Cantorian system with good results. Kept it going with home brew cleaning solution after it went out of production. Eventually the applicators wore out and i dumped the other bits a few years ago. I then used the rather messy Disco Antistat system from about 10 years ago. I found records cleaned with the supplied fluid retained a deposit which gunks up stylus and sticks to Nagaoka inner sleeves leaving streaks. This was solved by giving a second wash with purified water in the supplied bath. I now have been using an Okki Nokki RCM for about 4 years and the results are far superior. This will remove all gunk in a record groove after a maximum of a couple of cleans. For really bad used records, which I seldom bother with nowadays, the Disco Antistat can be used as a pre wash.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I use a sponge and washing up liquid in the kitchen sink for s/h stuff i get,or Into the groove record cleaner on the dining room table with a micro fibre cloth.Works fine,everything plays well.It might be worth getting a machine,just to see the look on her face as i bring it in the door. :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

If yer not too fussy about the label's (You will know what LP it is once playing) then sling em in the dish washer with half a vanish tab.....Spotless. :dance:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I picked up a factory Moth Pro machine on e-bay for £100, brilliant but bloody noisy, the cat and dogs don't hang around long. :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

For £100 I would get one, I just can't justify £500.

Anyway I am old school I believe in the stylus cleaning the record and then you clean the stylus. I run it on my Shure M3D at 6 grams, that cleans the groove out :mrgreen: