JPW AP2

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: JPW AP2

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You misrepresent me , i am wedded only to my pleasure , being late to the hifi party i have no emotional investment in any piece of equipment . If I prefer them i will gladly say so .

but a box with a hole in and more components than a 1965 mainframe , i doubt it :lol:

get your mate mr shaw to send me a pair ;)

As for mine being lashups , it is preferable to being put together by minimum wage demotivated teenage girls * :lol:

* Allegedly based upon my interpretation of their website ;)

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I've heard the SHL5 and the only thing I could say was 'where does all the money go?

Yes the wood finish is 'nice' but that has zero effect on the sound.' They don't do anything wrong, but they don't do anything interesting either. Just a small 2 way box loudspeaker, absolutely nothing to write home about. I'd have some unmodded AP2 off ebay and save three grand, personally. I really don't think there is that much in it at all.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Macca wrote:I've heard the SHL5 and the only thing I could say was 'where does all the money go?

Yes the wood finish is 'nice' but that has zero effect on the sound.' They don't do anything wrong, but they don't do anything interesting either. Just a small 2 way box loudspeaker, absolutely nothing to write home about. I'd have some unmodded AP2 off ebay and save three grand, personally. I really don't think there is that much in it at all.

Did you find the Harbeth ''laid back'' when you heard them?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave - The more you dig your self into that hole the harder it will be to crawl out of it. You are not a speaker designers, all you have done is wed yourself to a pile of bullshit salesman talk. Mr Harbeth is a marketing man / salesman not a speaker designer.

I will challenge you to take any of your current speakers you use and just undo the base driver stick your hand in and pull the wadding out, 5 min job. When you hear what it does then your ears and eyes and brain may become opened to the rest of Doc Speaker Mods.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:They'll eat your lashups alive, but you'll be so conditioned to yours you won't believe it. I care not a jot anyway, my new replacement soldering iron calls after I've picked up a mysterious package from the local post office...
The truth is out there Dave! Perhaps you are conditioned to yours too :shhh: It's really not difficult, just do the Doc mods properly and listen :angry-screaming:

Result for me is I'll not be moving my AP2's on anytime soon.

In fact I have some ML310's to do next for my Son - that'll be interesting too

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

No answers just yet to my questions (including my misunderstanding of Doc's mass coupling explanation) to Craig B and Robert in my latest pfm post yesterday. Hmm....??

John R

Thank you both for your thoughts/explanations, but frankly it does not explain why my AP2's are delivering a performance that to my ears is offering a wonderful sense of clarity, additional detail and consequential musical cohesion. This was not the case prior to mods. They were a nice speaker, but now there's no comparison in my system/room/ears.

I must add that cabinet damping with these mods is handled by adding mass in the form of steel plates fitted inside the cabs which almost doubles the mass of each speaker. The fibre wadding I removed is mostly nothing but trapped air at atmospheric pressure, so how can this achieve anything in a sealed box that is already filled with air at atmospheric pressure?

Personally, given what I'm hearing now with these modified old JPW's I am quite happy to leave them as they are, but I may also damp the crossovers with Blue tac - which is also great stuff for gaskets after I've added some better quality components - would that yield further improvement I wonder?

John R.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They tried the put down that didn't work. By replying they encourage the discussion, they don't want that.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

They don't wish to discuss what they can't win Doc - that I have my own ears and I know what "sounds" better.

And of course they cannot answer the question about air and BAF wadding. Neither can I mind :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Alas EWOTW is essential reading for all forums highlighted..........They know the score and just dont want to play Alfi. :cry:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Dave - The more you dig your self into that hole the harder it will be to crawl out of it. You are not a speaker designers, all you have done is wed yourself to a pile of bullshit salesman talk. Mr Harbeth is a marketing man / salesman not a speaker designer.

I will challenge you to take any of your current speakers you use and just undo the base driver stick your hand in and pull the wadding out, 5 min job. When you hear what it does then your ears and eyes and brain may become opened to the rest of Doc Speaker Mods.
I go back with speakers almost as long as you Doc and to call Alan Shaw a marketing man and not a speaker designer is a gross insult and mis-representation of his extensive work and research since he took the brand over in 1987. He's no guru of mine (I think we're both single-minded Aspergic or similar) and we actually had a severe disagreement in a fairly recent thread where I had a load of potential ad hominem thrown my way (I've not posted there since). That thread is gone now, but the products speak for themselves and I for one love them!

I'm not as closed minded as you think, but I find 'you lot' as entrenched in your groove as you accuse me of being in mine. I'm not in a hole at all, but I await hearing the Cubes with interest once a pair is made up.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...