over priced kit

All general audio posts go here.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: over priced kit

Unread post by jammy395 »

What kind of (Reasonably Priced :shock: ) mcru Sorcery is this.......

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/viny ... results=62

Tiz the work of the Devil. :angry-devil:

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Works great on a Techie. :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

jammy395 wrote:What kind of (Reasonably Priced :shock: ) mcru Sorcery is this.......

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/viny ... results=62

Tiz the work of the Devil. :angry-devil:
My question is why compromise? If you are going to use different technology to track information in a groove (already compromised in production and by RIAA equalisation and all the different interpretations thereof), why retain the stylus and all the compromise that that involved in making it track properly (arm mass, arm geometry, compliance) why not just use a laser?

This springs to mind

Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Optical cartridges should be easier and cheaper to produce today than a MC or MM. That price is bullshit but probably related to very small production runs at present. However i'm sure there is a large dealer slurp of around £2K in that which is MCRU's main motivation for listing it.

Laser TT's have never caught on though the only model is still available. Firstly expense but more important you need pristine records as the laser picks up every spec of dust and reproduces it.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

OK. So every engineering solution is a balance of compromises. And unit production costs are heavily influenced by economies of scale.

In the case of the DS-001/DS-W1, apart from all the mechanical compromises inherent in the tonearm, cartridge, stylus, there will be compromises in changing what I'm guessing is amplitude of laser light into an electronic signal.

A major selling point appears to be simply that it isn't digital. http://www.ds-audio-w.biz/?page_id=39 Note that it is being compared to a Denon DL103 - which is a fraction of the cost.

It's clearly a clever technical achievement (and I wonder how the development costs for this have been found). But, unless they could price it the same as a decent CD player, not something for a mass market.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is not something for anyone who has any brains.