Beresford Toslink Cable

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Beresford Toslink Cable

Unread post by Fretless »

Another case of over-curiosity has led to me purchasing Mr. Beresford's optical interconnect TC-3618. Now I am no fan of optical links - in my experience even the best Toslink cables have an 'MP3-effect' in that they make the music flat and lifeless. But SB claims that his fibre-optics sound as good as a coax link - a challenge I cannot pass by.

On the Netherlands website the cable is priced at €20, quite a reasonable price. Until I got to the Pay-Pal checkout where I saw that €13 had been added for P+P. That's a bit steep, I thought, The Doc asks the half of that for shipping NVA cables from the UK. But I pressed 'BUY' anyway.
Half-an-hour later I got an email from Pay-Pal to say that I had a €10 refund, and another mail from Beresford's Dutch distributor which apologised, prices were based on foreign shipping rates, and that the cable was in the post. Now, service or what?

So the postman rolls by this morning and hands me a smallish package, with a nicely-rolled cable inside. The lead itself is rather similar to NVA SSP; quite thick, not too flexible and encased in black woven sheathing. Careful not to over bend or twist it I have put it inbetween my Arcam CD62T and MF M1DAC for a quick listen. There is already an SSC digital interconnect there so I could make an instant A/B comparison.

Playing a track from Melody Gardot (thanks, Terry) the SSC projects Melody's husky voice right out into the room and gives all the tiny details that she puts into her recordings. Atmospheric stuff.

My old toslink interconnect presents this same piece as flat and relatively uninteresting. But switching over to the Beresford Toslink did come as a pleasant surprise. Melody is still alive! Although now sounding a tiny bit muted and veiled, and not as vibrant as with the SSC link, but she was there and quite comfortably too.

If I had to guess, I would say that the TC-3618 is about on a par with the Supra Trico coax that I was using a while ago. Presentation is laid-back but well-detailed This is just an initial impression but this looks like it is the first time I have heard a Toslink cable coming up to audiophile standards. When I've had some further listens I'll post a final verdict.
Last edited by Fretless on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

alfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beresford Toslink Cable

Unread post by alfer »

Why are you comparing coax with optical?

I spent a few pound on a QED glass fibre cable. It was a tad different to plastic fibre optical but nothing to rave about.
AtoZ

Fretless
Netherlands

alfer wrote:Why are you comparing coax with optical?.
Mainly curiosity. And a proposed DAC upgrade in the near future that will force me to have to use a Toslink connection from the CD player.

The comparison with coax is valid in that they both transmit the same data stream, but more conversion processes are done on the optical side. So far I have been dissatisfied with the 'sound' of optical connections. The final outcome is how lifelike the resulting audio is. And in this case I am quite surprised in a positive way.

Oh - and SB compared his Toslink to a coax as well.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I have got one of Stanley's TC-3618's in my cable drawer,can't remember how i came by it,i have no use for it so if anyone wants it,just pm me your address and i will post it.When i have a choice of digital orifices i use my SSP, :roll: :grin:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Fretless
Netherlands

As the design of my DAC limits me to only 1 coax input - where the CD player is, I am forced to get the signal from my Pi via the Toslink connection and that means that I am looking for a good, affordable cable for that purpose.

I've been content with the Beresford cable for the last half year, but the recent CD transport upgrade left my Pi sounding rather disappointing. Running a direct A/B with both coax and toslink output from the CXC led to the realisation that it might be the optical cable causing that input to sound a bit flat, dry and uninvolving. The hunt was on for a better alternative.

And here it is. The Profigold Oxypure OXYA5601.

Here's the blurb:
Profigold OXYA5601 Ultra Performance Multi Core Optical Interconnect 1m.

High Definition digital optical audio 196kHz compliant interconnect for an ultra sound experience

Polished 217 extended Medical Grade optical fiber conductors for ultimate digital signal transfer

Profound solid black layer to protect against external interference and signal loss

Braided exterior nylon protection against ultraviolet light affects and guarantees a lifetime reliability

Die cast metal alloyed connectors with polished chrome shielding to ensure long lasting connectivity without signal influence or loss.

Okay, all well and good. How does it sound?
Repeating the same test on the CD transport revealed a better link than the Beresford.. Sound was fuller, richer and more 3D. Detail is excellent and putting this onto the Pi narrows the audible gap between the 2 sources considerably.

Thoroughly recommended and I have seen them advertised in the UK for as little as 12 pounds.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Thanks for the heads up on this cable.I have been using my SB cable on my Teac CDP for a few months now,but didn't think it sounded quite as good as it could.After half an hour searching the air waves i have just managed to get the price down from £45 to £12.I am looking forward to seeing if it is an improvement.Got to be worth a try at that price... :mrgreen: Cheers again.... :chores-mowlawn:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Fretless
Netherlands

Interested to hear your opinion,Wallace. Cheers :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Ooh! Which DAC will you be going for?

Fretless
Netherlands

I think that bit was from when I was considering getting the Hegel HD12. Which is awesome. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Profigold OXYA5601 Ultra Performance Multi Core Optical Interconnect 1m.
High Definition digital optical audio 196kHz compliant interconnect for an ultra sound experience
Polished 217 extended Medical Grade optical fiber conductors for ultimate digital signal transfer
Profound solid black layer to protect against external interference and signal los..

wtf...come again. :epop: