Beresford Toslink Cable

All general audio posts go here.
Quarknosis

Re: Beresford Toslink Cable

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I had been planning to buy the Beresford optical cable but as a result of this thread, bought the Profigold OXYA5601 which I'm listening to now. While it doesn't seem as open and vibrant as my Mark Grant coax, it is certainly better than no name budget optical cable that I had before.

I've had a Profigold Oxypure coax cable in the past and didn't really like how it sounded.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I doubt if any Toslink connection can equal a coax. There is the extra 'work' involved in converting an electrical data signal into laser pulses and back again at the other end, a coax link just takes the electrons from one end to the other. So the main hope with an optical connection is that it doesn't sound too flat and lifeless.

I found the Beresford to be a definite step up from a 'standard' Toslink and the Profigold, to my ears, gets remarkably close to the sound of a coax connection. In this case, at the moment, the Beresford coax.

The OXYA5601 is just lacking a little bit of sparkle and richness - but it's close and very musical. :grin:

Edit: Some modern DAC's, like the Chord, buffer the incoming SPDIF signal for up to 4 seconds in order to 'correct' the data and ensure that it is properly sysnchronised before converting it into an analogue music output. This ought to reduce the differences in cable quality and format (coax/optical).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Fretless wrote:I doubt if any Toslink connection can equal a coax. There is the extra 'work' involved in converting an electrical data signal into laser pulses and back again at the other end, a coax link just takes the electrons from one end to the other. So the main hope with an optical connection is that it doesn't sound too flat and lifeless.
It is easy to demonstrate. Simply connect cables for both types between your CD player/transport and DAC, set a disc going and input switch. There's no doubt in my mind that Coax is better.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Depends on what electrical sh*t is flying round the player chassis. In the past, PC's should be used with optical connectors to prevent electrical pollution. This may have changed now...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

With all due respect to all and investigation... What are you doing?

Optical can't and doesn't compete with co-ax. So why bother?

Discuss.....
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Being forced to use a toslink input on my DAC means I want to get a reasonable performance from the source on that connection. Hence my interest in finding the most musical optical cable that I can use.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

George Hincapie

Fretless wrote:Being forced to use a toslink input on my DAC means I want to get a reasonable performance from the source on that connection. Hence my interest in finding the most musical optical cable that I can use.
I only have one SPDIF on my Caiman and one Optical. I'd rather just have two SPDIF or perhaps three. I may send Stan an e-mail.

George Hincapie

Incidentally Fretless, I have a Cambridge Audio optical cable that I am not using. Happy to mail it over for you if you want to PM your address.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

George Hincapie wrote:
Fretless wrote:Being forced to use a toslink input on my DAC means I want to get a reasonable performance from the source on that connection. Hence my interest in finding the most musical optical cable that I can use.
I only have one SPDIF on my Caiman and one Optical. I'd rather just have two SPDIF or perhaps three. I may send Stan an e-mail.
George, I'm sure there are two Optical and one Coax inputs on the Caiman MkII. There are on mine!

George Hincapie

There are Billy - two TOSLink and one SPDIF. I prefer SPDIF (Coax) so would rather have at least two of those.