Edinburgh Rega Experience

All general audio posts go here.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Edinburgh Rega Experience

Unread post by kimangelis »

Recently my Rega Apollo-R stopped recognising discs. The laser chassis was moving, lens clean. Rega 'suggest' do not tamper with the laser assembly and take the unit to a Rega dealer (you can't contact Rega direct). Anyway.... my nearest is Edinburgh (40miles) and there are two dealers. Telephoned Dealer One and after 3-4 minutes of ermmm..., ahhh..., don't know..., not sure..., it was suggested I nip along to that dealer and they would send it off for me. Can't I send it off?... No it has to be us. Second dealer didn't pick-up the 'phone.

I was planning an Edinburgh visit at the weekend so put the Rega in the car and called-round at Dealer Two (Dealer One is city-centre and that's a weekend no-go area). Explained to the sales-person what was (not) happening with the Apollo. Reply was... "There's a £50.00 inspection fee, then we can send it off to Rega for you." :angry-screaming:

So... didn't want to do that. Drove home then wearing a head-torch and 3x reading specs, discovered the spring-loaded laser chassis had stuck down. A quick press with a spec-cleaning cloth-covered finger and all started working. Connected back in to the DAC again and all-singing.

This is me on a rant and :angry-soapbox: frustrated at having to make an 80 mile round-trip rather then post off the unit to Rega myself, plus the utterly less-than-helpful experience with Edinburgh Rega dealers. Anyone else had similar? personally I think it's :Bllocks:
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Edinburgh Rega Experience

Unread post by Classicrock »

Looks like Rega don't have a customer service dept and use dealers. Frankly the inspection fee is :Bllocks: The dealers don't do servicing these days. A year or two ago I found Frank Harvey no longer have their own service dept and no one could tell me where to get TEAC repairs.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

next time you may want to join PFM . Paul Darwin who works for rega is along within minutes of moaning about rega ;)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Now if only there was a nva cd player :lol:

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

Should have got a naim cd player
I know i know ill get me coat and bobble hat weres the door :clap: :clap: :) :lol: :lol:
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Sorry to hear of your experience Kimagells. My Apollo R (now sold) had a similar problem and the dealer in Suffolk arranged for Rega to get a courier to collect it from my home. I had it back fixed from Rega within a week and complete with their service engineer's report of exactly what had been done to it and all FOC. I reckon that is pretty good service.

I think some dealers try it on re inspection charges etc.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Now if only there was a nva cd player :lol:
Yes alas, 4 punters short of a CDP killer bargain. :doh:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

[de-cloaks]

Rega have excellent service and if any issues cannot easily be sorted, a call to the factory is ALL you need to do! They will deal directly if you ask them nicely - ask Alphafan here... the Edinburgh dealer didn't know you from Adam, so would have a stock service policy-cum-handling charge, even if Rega fixed it for nothing!

Paul Darwin's a good guy and will help as much as possible to sort customers out (I all but worked with him in my Listen Inn days and trust him to do the right thing)

[re-cloaks]
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is simple, it is nothing to do with Rega. ALL hi-fi retailers are crooks who will stitch you up any way they can.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It is simple, it is nothing to do with Rega. ALL hi-fi retailers are crooks who will stitch you up any way they can.
True........They must rip you off, it is the nature of the beast, they need your slurp to exist.
Sooner they all become extinct the better for us all.