The £100 Speaker Challenge

All general audio posts go here.
kazam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The £100 Speaker Challenge

Unread post by kazam »

This thread is directly linked to the speaker bake off planned for later this year. However, i thought the question deserved discussion in its own right, so here goes..

Just what can you acheive with a total budget of £100 in 2016? Whether this be new, vintage or DIY, it is up to you. If you are playing along at home then lots of pictures please. What i'd then like to do is incorporate this challenge into our meet (date TBA soon). I think it only fair that all this creativity be rewarded, so a prize of some sort will be offered to the winning bake off attendee. Rules to largely be made up as we go along(!) but the principle is simply that all components must have been purchased in 2016. As far as the bake off goes, we will ask for receipts to prove spend. We will take your word for it if you are playing along virtually..

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: The £100 Speaker Challenge

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I'm out then. All my cheap as chips gear was bought before 2015.

mules

Unread post by mules »

Well, I bought a pair of Triangle Titus small standmounts for the princely sum of £90 a fortnight ago, and they really are brilliant performers.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Mules takes pole position with the Triangles, which seem to have been quite a bargain given the RRP. I'm yet to listen to any of this brands products, but will certainly look to do so in the future. The horn loaded tweeter is interesting and Triangle seems to have a reputation for speakers that don't hold back..

Lindsayt, we'll keep it loose, do tell on your pre '15 bargains..

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

DQ as won the £100 speaker challenge -

JPW AP2 - £25 with busted driver
£70 doc mod drivers
£5 maplin audiophile capacitors .
-----
£100 .

All done in 2015 alas ;)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I bought:

two Denon DN-C630 CD players for £15 each.
a Urei 6400 4 channel amp for £26 (1 channel not working). It sounded fine when I first bought it, but has gone hummy through the speakers now.
The there's my Heybrook HB1 speakers, bought new in 1983. They were unused for a while with rotted foam surrounds. Brought them back to life with a £20 refoam kit. Last time I checked, HB1's with rotten surrounds were selling for £2 to £25.
My Creek CAS4040 amp, bought new in 1983 for £99. Still in use in my A/V system. For a while they were selling for £50, but seem to have gone up to £100.

A Urei 6230 for £85. Use this as a bass amp in my Bozak Symphony system.

And then there's the stuff I bought for £150 to £500 - which opens up some pretty high end equipment.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

A few weeks ago I bought a nice pair of Mission 752 floorstanders off Ebay for £65 just to see what they were like. They sounded really good, I had my fun with them and then sold them on at a small profit.

Last year, again when I had nothing to do obviously, I bought a pair of Goodmans Minister SL speakers with an Aiwa 8300 amp for £70 off Gumtree. I was really pleased with how good these 1970's components still sounded, and that Aiwa amp in particular was a belter. Again, had my fun with them then sold them on at a small profit.

My wife says I should get a life.