Are HiFiDealers necessary?

All general audio posts go here.
The Real Professor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Are HiFiDealers necessary?

Unread post by The Real Professor »

http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/ ... post123367

ps Richard still waiting on a polite thanks for giving you webspace on the crossover network, say what you like about Mongo, but he's courteous enough to thank people who do him a favour.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I thought I had, well an oversite, thank you, very generous.

May I say the favour in my mind is too your members.

The Real Professor

Unread post by The Real Professor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I thought I had, well an oversite, thank you, very generous.

May I say the favour in my mind is too your customers.
You're welcome, but given what's just happened it's best I don't post here anymore, thanks anyway, its been fun

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Since when are you admin or even a mod Dave. I will leave your comment up but it is ad hominem against me.
I really don't understand the above - and it doesn't matter now anyway. No ad hominem intended towards you and I was just trying to stop someone blowing himself out, which looks as if he has now.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is his problem, but if he argues that way he wouldn't have lasted anyway. But he is not banned perhaps he will post on something he can be less verbose and repetitive about it.

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

ADMIN EDIT - ad hominem removed - 1st strike applied due to insults.
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

What should be realised is this forum is for promoting direct sellers who sell to customer product at their old trade prices. There is a standing invite to these companies to have a room in this forum (like the nva room) to promote their products. We had two in past but both changed to go through retail, so lost their forum rooms.

We do not welcome hi-fi retailers to this forum (nor stop them) as it is the antithesis of their opinions and thought patterns. I thought The Professor was still a hi-fi dealer, but I see now he is an ex hi-fi dealer (may they all become ex :lol: ) but he is still determined to argue a lost (IMO) cause. So to be honest with you this went the way I expected. It is a repeat performance of what happened at TCN when I joined way back. My anti retailer stance was not accepted by The Professor so we argued to the point he booted me. Very similar arguments from then, but the difference here is he is not booted / banned. He is free to post.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The Real Professor wrote:
never let a sweeping statement get in the way of a balanced argument eh?

...Now the above doesn't take into account what these people may recommend, or their particular tastes, yes they recommend what they sell, but usually the have chosen to sell these brands as they genuinely believe that these are the best on offer, it's not a grocer shop, they can pick and chose their inventory, we often only chose one or two products in a manufacturers range, choosing to make another recommendation for different needs and budgets...
That is 1 big sticking point that I have with UK dealers.

Almost every dealer I've visited has known fuck all about the world of hi-fi beyond what they actually stock.

Visiting dealers these days is a disappointing process for me. At every price point I can come up with a system that would sound better than what the dealer stocks at a lower price.

To the point where the real challenge is to come up with something better sounding for less than one tenth of the price of the dealer system.

I know that there's loads and loads that I don't know about hi-fi. It's one of those subjects where I find that the more I learn the more I realise just how little I know. Just how much I've just scratched the top of the iceberg.

So, if someone like me finds it easy to come up with dealer beating systems, what does that say about dealers and their ability to stock the best sounding equipment?

And on top of all that, the last times I've been to dealers and told them what I've got, they've stared at me blankly because they have no knowledge of my kit.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Seems to be an unwritten rule of hifi forums , that a forum cannot tolerate the presence of another forums owner :lol:

As for the question , they exist they are therefore necessary. Simple's really. Whether the necessity is a good thing is of course a different question ,but they is only one answer to the actual question - They exist therefore they are necessary . ;)

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Seems to be an unwritten rule of hifi forums , that a forum cannot tolerate the presence of another forums owner :lol:

As for the question , they exist they are therefore necessary. Simple's really. Whether the necessity is a good thing is of course a different question ,but they is only one answer to the actual question - They exist therefore they are necessary . ;)
Of course it all comes down to semantics, as it depends what you mean by 'necessary'. The only things which, strictly speaking, are 'necessary' are water, food, clothing and shelter. Hifi itself isn't necessary, nor indeed is music.

I've had mixed experiences with dealers, but they do seem to be less useful, with the exception of auditioning speakers, which are less easily borrowed for trial periods because of shipping costs.