Re: Wood or Wire?

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Re: Wood or Wire?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

DQ - I argue with Dave because his brainwashes are seemingly chiselled into his brain. I am working on him but it is a long hard process. I get him to listen I explain, he seems to understand, and then later the chiseled in :Bllocks: emerges again - BUT he has many assets and a lot of his experience is valid evn if just on the level of telling people how he and other retailers behaved and why they sold what they did. They were a minor part of a conspiracy that virtually took over the industry.

The other good thing is he is now being more assertive in standing up for himself, and not letting the likes of Marco walk all over him again. But in this case he is WRONG and I will prove it in time to him which involves more exposure to NVA speakers. So cool the insults with him as he is basically a nice bloke who has been led astray.

Dave - yes we are talking about you, is it ad hominem, well there is a judgement here and as admin I suppose it is for me to make it. Well I believe what you say in this context is part of you as the process of you acquiring this BBC brainwash was your history so we cannot talk about it without discussing that element. Now if you wish to do the same to me then start thread entitled "Doc and his anti BBC stance" then you can talk about me in that context as I am the subject.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

He can be assertive without being a prat but I will go and listen to my cobbled together hifi :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Don't call me a prat DQ, unless it takes one to know one :(

The way some people go on here, it's as if I've owned Spendors every day of my adult life! I had three sets of Isobariks over six years after my BC1's, which are as poles apart as it's possible to get, followed by NS1000's, Snell E II's (Ugh in my situation), Gale 301's which fizzed all the time and Epos ES14's (main driver directly connected and a cap for the tweeter), which I loved. I then had a long relationship with ATC's, two of which were definitely used in pro circles (SCM100A's and SCM 20ASL pro's) with some ghastly Wilson Benesch Act 1's in between - oh, and Rega Alyas (no bass and small sounding), Jura's (boom-tizz). Musical Technology Harrier SE's (my mate co-founded the company, which was never profitable) and AVI Positron floor standers (again too small). More recently I was given some AVI N5's which screeched, swapped for AVI Pro Nines which were just as bad and was given the use of Rogers LS5/9's which don't work in my workroom, setup as they are on the desktop. The ancient IMF Compact mk1's are wonderful with their doped paper drivers and not over-full as subsequent models were. Downstairs again, the BC2's were left to me and as they were the first proper pair of speakers I ever sold and chosen after listening to equivalent AR3a's, JBL l100's and assorted IMF's as well as BC1's and LS3/6's amongst others I forget, they were worth every penny I spent on acquiring replacement main drivers of later production.

These are just the interesting speakers I owned! I listened to seemingly hundreds of others of all shapes and sizes in my job and regularly attended live gigs and concerts when I could. The live musical event was the brainwashing, nobody else and NVA certainly won't continue to try to brainwash me either, although an old pal from Studio 99/82 days thinks the Doc has done a job on me already... The ONLY speakers I ever owned that came anywhere near live sounds were the big active ATC's I had, as they could re-create a live jazz group in my small living space with ease - accurate tone, 115db volume and dynamics to match on a good 50's recording - they didn't sound so good at low volumes sadly, but modern versions are reportedly better. They've long gone, but memory impressions remain. At the low volumes my ears now demand, I get a clearer sound from the Spendors, which don't sound thick and dull by any stretch of the imagination (BC1's or Rogers Studio 1's they're not and never were, but of course, you'd need to compare them - as I did!)

I'm justifying myself again. I don't see why I should keep doing it, just because of someone who knows next to nothing about Hifi or audio matters in general getting on their high-horse and trolling me!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

The last time i looked i hadnt spent half .my life selling crap hifi to people for money. So if that .means i know nothing then fair enough. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Pack it up Dave. If you spent so much time talking about your other speakers you have owned then there would be no problem with me, but no all you feckin talk about is the :Bllocks: of BBC design. You only get me to comment when you do it, I don't and wouldn't if you talked about your other speakers you owned.

Me doing a job on you, huh! if by that you mean I have made you listen to music, then yes I have done a job on you. You get no brainwash from me, you have nothing to attach to your brain with NVA BUT MUSIC!!! Just because you spent years being brainwashed by people like Linn and Naim and Harbeth you think you are superior, well you are not. DQ listens to music and he has as much right to comment and be thought of as an expert as you!! If you are so keen on being an EXPERT like Marco thinks he is then design and build something, just being a feckin salesman does not make you an expert, listening to music and keeping an open mind makes you an expert in just that, nothing more.

This thread only came about yet again because of your original post not mine, I only reacted in this case, and remember why I reacted because as I said "I will not allow that BBC :Bllocks: to be perpetrated on this forum without it being countered with the truth" and I will continue to do that, if you bring out anymore Harbeth or Spendor BBC bollocks here then it WILL be countered by me.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You know, nobody else here would take lightly what the two of you have chucked my way this afternoon, so best to leave it here. A shame really, as I really was looking forward to hearing the Cube 2's at home. It'll be a tainted experience now though, assuming I still get the chance to borrow them.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Welcome to Hi-Fi Subjectivist - a hifi discussion group.

The world of Hi-Fi is plagued by people trying to stop you commenting on what you hear and making decisions from it. This forum is different - here we do not allow people to challenge what people hear, and we can discuss the musical ability of our systems.

:whistle:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

FFS Dave now you make yourself the victim, you are not, can't you understand I cannot let what I know to be false and lies to be put out on this forum as facts. I would do the same to ANYONE including DQ if he did it. I didn't ask DQ to comment, again you do not understand what motivates him. I have told you over and over again what motivates me and so has he. You rang both of our bells - independently - about different aspects of your postings.

My feelings towards you are no different now to what they were before this thread. Do you really want me to just praise you all the time, well it is not reality and my LIFE is devoted to REALITY, not the fecking bullshit everyone is drowning in, and not just hi-fi.

Of course you take the Cube2 back why did I offer, it is important for both our sakes. OF COURSE you say exactly what you want to about them and no matter what if you tell the truth and don't make up lies as Greg has been doing at AoS and TAS then we will NEVER fall out over it.

You still don't understand me, and I know you don't understand DQ. What you need to do is talk to the man, he has tried to explain to you why he reacts, but you don't listen you just take it as insult, so that is when he starts to take the piss. He can teach you masses about semantics and how to express yourself. People call him one of my sheep and arse lickers, nothing could be further from the truth. In reality my posts are succinct and mostly written in a logical and understandable manner which is why he doesn't pull me up on it (well rarely, he has done it). You can really waffle at times, BUT no where near as bad as Pinky and often others, nor as contradictory and ill conceived as Marcos posts. If he calls you on an argument and post then PM him to ask him why, look at his reasoning.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jammy395 wrote:Welcome to Hi-Fi Subjectivist - a hifi discussion group.

The world of Hi-Fi is plagued by people trying to stop you commenting on what you hear and making decisions from it. This forum is different - here we do not allow people to challenge what people hear, and we can discuss the musical ability of our systems.

:whistle:
Are you saying we are not doing that Jammy, if so you are wrong. If this was about what is heard then there would not be this thread. This thread is about the perpetration of lies and bullshit, and not that I have been told, but that I have EXPERIENCED. Not once have I challenged Dave on what he hears, I challenge him on the BBC brainwash :Bllocks: he keeps trotting out here.

Daniel Quinn

There is a difference between saying I like something and making generalised claims about something or claiming any given state of affairs is the truth. compare and contrast for example George's {hincapie} recent comparison of NVA amps with his audiolabs to say Marco's review of some new valves or cartridge headshell he as bought.

I have never taken issue with someone who says " I like this" even if I do not . However , If you move beyond "this is what I like" to make a generalised claim or truth , then I consider it my civic duty to challenge what you say ,not by saying I disagree and offering a differing claimed truth but by critiquing what you are saying and examining the internal logic , assumptions , coherency , premises and foundations .

Now I do not ONLY do this only on hifi forums [though they are a good arena as hifi is full of bullshit] , I do it my life and work and it is what I teach my children daily . It is a technique referred to as critical theory , I borrowed from the Frankfurt School

"the term "critical theory" (or "social critical theory")[1] describes the neo-Marxist philosophy of the Frankfurt School, which was developed in Germany in the 1930s. The Frankfurt theorist Max Horkheimer described a theory as critical insofar as it seeks "to liberate human beings from the circumstances that enslave them." Frankfurt theorists drew on the critical methods of Karl Marx and Sigmund Freud. Critical theory maintains that ideology is the principal obstacle to human liberation."

Here endeth my pompous but honest justification for upsetting DSJR ;)