Mains Power Quality

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mains Power Quality

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Fretty - I have those hums on and off all day long, and if actually manage to talk to anyone who actually knows something about it as I do (apart from my own knowledge) they are scared stiff of how bad it is and that they are going to get jumped on by the government. It has got far worse with the digital revolution and mostly because they are hiring out their cables to carry signal on sub carriers. It is FAR worse than even 10 years ago and getting worse all the time. They, the National Grid and the Generating companies could cure it, but it means spending money or stopping doing some of the things they are doing at the moment. With all of these things now it is the bottom line (profit) that is the only important thing and they will get away with what ever they can, and all of them are owned by foreign companies so they feel no guilt at ripping us off. The Government and regulators could jump on them but the regulators are bent and the Gov has other things on its mind. So it needs us to jump on the Gov and the regulators or nothing will change apart from it will get worse.

And for those that believe the quality of mains doesn't effect the quality of our music, they are ignorant.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

jammy395 wrote:Guess im lucky up here, our Electricity is made from Water (Hydro) :shock:
And seems to be very good indeed......
But yer right, your paying enough for it, if its poor you should be complaining about it... :evil:

The Permed One

Unread post by The Permed One »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It doesn't fully solve it, it is a cure, it is best NOT to have the illness, and in most European countries they don't have it and if they do then far less. Does anyone here understand my point :x if your water from the tap was this bad would you put up with it.

And as for daft thinking like Permy, if you don't know any different or don't understand what is being said to you then the best idea is to stay out of it and LEARN, instead of spouting crap all the time. Ignorance is not bliss :x
I fully understand this constant shit that Hi-Fi obsessives come out with. For god sake can't you lot just deal with the fact that Hi-Fi starts after the Mains outlet,

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

The high quality computer/commercial UPS systems seem like a good option for audio. They aren't cheap, but they aren't magic bullet audiophile priced either. Something along the line of these.

http://www.powervar.com/

Of course prices and size varies. It becomes a matter of how much and how clean you are willing to spend for.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

NO the same as you can't accept your drinks like tea and cooking doesn't start with what comes out of the tap. I say again if you think that then you are ignorant, or your system is not up to showing what is good mains or bad mains, and probably what is good recording or bad recording. This is a hi-fi forum which by its job title is for discussing things like this, if anyone is in the wrong place it is you.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Neonknight wrote:The high quality computer/commercial UPS systems seem like a good option for audio. They aren't cheap, but they aren't magic bullet audiophile priced either. Something along the line of these.

http://www.powervar.com/

Of course prices and size varies. It becomes a matter of how much and how clean you are willing to spend for.
Ignorance again. UPS partially solve one problem by creating a worse one for hi-fi. Not for computing as that is the job they are designed for, but for hi-fi they are a disaster, increasing source impedance and making everything flat and boring.

The Permed One

Unread post by The Permed One »

ffk sake Rich every ones wrong you are right

:evil:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No YOU are wrong, most other people are right, it is you with the closed mind who thinks he knows everything, you know next to nothing.

I have actually built these thing and tried every variation in mains treatment over the 40 years I have been building things. We had a similar problem in the 70's caused by half wave rectification in valve TV sets off setting the wave form, a different but just as awkward problem. That goes away and things got better for a while now the data streaming on the lines and the modern style computer power supplies are fecking it all up again for us and even more so.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

This is reminding me of neighbours from hell. Pack it in, the pair of you!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ignorance and wrong information is not allowed here Shane without being corrected, and never will be, open minds are, not closed minded ignorance.