What is the least important component (poll)?

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

What is the least important component (poll)?

Unread post by Lindsayt »

What is the least important component, generally speaking, in terms of the overall sound quality of a hi-fi system?

I've not included cables nor supports, nor stands as I'd class them as ancilliaries. Or in the case of turntable support and speaker stands I'd class them as, sort of, integral with the turntable or speakers. And polls are limited to 10 options anyway and there are 9 in this one already.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: What is the least important component (poll)?

Unread post by terrybooth »

Well, this will cause a lot of head-scratching! You could argue that they are all important but it's the synergy of the components that really makes the sound quality.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Your right, I spent about 5 mins head scratching, then decided I can't answer it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I chose the digital source, as you can get perfectly passable results from a wall-wart supplied £5 DAC these days, as long as the interconnect is half decent. I had a hilarious (to me) session or two from my cheapo DAC, wired via TIS to the system. It was amazingly good, if not as expansive or tidy as the main DAC I use, which itself is very old if fine tuned...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I chose the digital source, as you can get perfectly passable results from a wall-wart supplied £5 DAC these days, as long as the interconnect is half decent. I had a hilarious (to me) session or two from my cheapo DAC, wired via TIS to the system. It was amazingly good, if not as expansive or tidy as the main DAC I use, which itself is very old if fine tuned...
Sorry Dave, but I can't agree with you there. A 'good' digital source will allow a 'budget' installation to be very revealing and musical..
I voted for crossover.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Crossover as the most important :shock: least important, get rid of it.

You see this is why the wording of the poll is ambiguous and difficult to answer.

diggerrum
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by diggerrum »

The polled question is not easy to understand. Does it mean which item contributes most to the best sound quality ? Please re-state the question in a less ambiguous way, Lindsayt.

Fretless
Netherlands

Must be quite a lot of analogue fans around. Tonearms are regarded as more important than digital sources. :confusion-shrug:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Fretless wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I chose the digital source, as you can get perfectly passable results from a wall-wart supplied £5 DAC these days, as long as the interconnect is half decent. I had a hilarious (to me) session or two from my cheapo DAC, wired via TIS to the system. It was amazingly good, if not as expansive or tidy as the main DAC I use, which itself is very old if fine tuned...
Sorry Dave, but I can't agree with you there. A 'good' digital source will allow a 'budget' installation to be very revealing and musical..
I voted for crossover.
My argument was that all modern digital sources are 'good.' Some cheap digital gear is so good these days and there's some fine inexpensive amps and CD players out there in my opinion and some experience. All things vinyl needs good engineering which costs more. What do you get from a £1000 DAC that that little £120 one discussed here can't do? Power supply? casework and switchgear, Intellectual profit, which seems to be the most important of all in electronic gear? Maybe I'm spoiled with the digital stuff I have - the Micro Seiki was the first CD player I ever heard that could 'do' a proper 3-D walk-in soundstage back in 1989 and it comfortably bettered the donor Philips/Marantz chassis it's based on. the QED DAC was thick toned and murky until the twin supply mod came along (plus a couple of cost-cutting reversals inside, which made no audible difference of note to me).

Tonearms are nasty, resonant things with varying effective masses. Yes, I would say they're more important than well implemented MODERN digital sources, but then, I've got a passable musical noise out of my (mains attenuated to cut down motor noise) Garrard AP76 with AT120E this weekend for a giggle - musical noise being the thing - and I'm transported back to 1973 and the first half-decent deck I bought with my own earned holiday money....
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Looks like we're back to the old chestnut: analogue vs digital. :doh:

I find this poll to be strangely arranged with 'digital sources' lumped together and four separate parts of a TT setup apart.

A clearer / fairer split would be just 'Analogue source' vs 'Digital source'
or separate: Network player, CD player, DAC, computer.

All of my primary sources are digital and it is by far the most important part of my main system and defines the sound. With a pretty expensive DAC at its' heart - and that DAC is worth the extra over less expensive ones that I also have running.

Oh yes - and I do have a TT and am still happy if it just plays LP's

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl