MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by jayman67 »

well based on bigmans write up on here,AOS and Audio talk,as a prospective buyer i would go for the phono 2,
he has praised it on all forums,now you guys seem to be dissecting his every word and imo making more out of it.
you've had the bake off,you've come out as better ,cant you just be happy with that?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Bigman80 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 pm Right, I am off for good this time. The Bakeoff happened, as I said it would, and I'm glad I got to be part of the event.

It was great to hear your gear Richard and as I said, the phono 2 was exemplary. I will recommend it and hope to hear one again soon. Hopefully I can get the Phono1 in a better suited genre to me and give it a thorough listening to. Not that you need my opinion. Nick's if far more experienced and carries the weight of his knowledge and standing in the audio community.

Anyhoo, it's been fun!

☮️
Good review your opinion counts

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

jayman67 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am well based on bigmans write up on here,AOS and Audio talk,as a prospective buyer i would go for the phono 2,
he has praised it on all forums,now you guys seem to be dissecting his every word and imo making more out of it.
you've had the bake off,you've come out as better ,cant you just be happy with that?
+1 yes just be happy and end this dissecting

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

jayman67 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am well based on bigmans write up on here,AOS and Audio talk,as a prospective buyer i would go for the phono 2,
We are responding to games being played. We are not instigating those games. There's an obvious difference. When the games stop being played, there is no need for us to respond.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Frasernash wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 am
Bigman80 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 pm Right, I am off for good this time. The Bakeoff happened, as I said it would, and I'm glad I got to be part of the event.

It was great to hear your gear Richard and as I said, the phono 2 was exemplary. I will recommend it and hope to hear one again soon. Hopefully I can get the Phono1 in a better suited genre to me and give it a thorough listening to. Not that you need my opinion. Nick's if far more experienced and carries the weight of his knowledge and standing in the audio community.

Anyhoo, it's been fun!

☮️
Good review your opinion counts
The point is it changed as he realised he was out on a limb. I am happy to let it go, but I will respond to any crap that continues at AoS.

What I want is for everyone to push for more bake-offs, think about organising and attending them. No one should be scared of the truth, and the more peoples opinion adds to the information sources the better - it will give us a far more honest industry, and the bullshit will be seen for what it is.

Forget the silliness about peoples opinions being attacked, or being scared we will diss them here is they don't like something. It is very far from the truth, the only reason this one had animosity associated with it was the history of deceit and game playing with trying to make it happen.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Firey has found his angle to try and nullify the Bake-Off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"EDIT Now I've tried it for myself going from 100 to 470 loading on a 103 makes a huge difference to the sound."

Who will believe him. :twisted:

:epopc:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

And now another:

It should have been done blind...to which Bigman plays along immediately.

Didn't hear any such complaints before NVA emerged as better on the day.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

FYI, the JFET phono of mine also had a 100R loading. Points to remember

1. The cart was not a stock 103, it was a VDH re tipped 103r

2. Yes, there is a change loading that cart from 100 to 470, when I tried it a few weeks ago, the 100 was slightly better, 470 gives a very slight over emphasis on HF and can lead to a slight sibilance.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

As I said the change makes no difference at all on the NVA circuit, even with the 30va Phono1.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Quote from Lurcher "2. Yes, there is a change loading that cart from 100 to 470, when I tried it a few weeks ago, the 100 was slightly better, 470 gives a very slight over emphasis on HF and can lead to a slight sibilance"

Very different to Mr Firebottle's statement on AoS, who says moving from 100 to 470 loading made a huge difference. :roll: