MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by antonio66 »

I know Bigman made positive comments about NVA, but on the first read of his review of the day, I came away thinking the Firebottle won the day over both NVA phonos. Don't know why, maybe just his wording.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Exactly!...I have slept and calmed down. Sorry folks I lost it, after the drive *and expecting* these games, to get back and find it had already started made me see red. I hardly read past his first paragraph. We seem to be getting back to something more sensible now, well here at least.

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 am I have slept and calmed down. Sorry folks I lost it, after the drive *and expecting* these games, to get back and find it had already started made me see red. I hardly read past his first paragraph. We seem to be getting back to something more sensible now, well here at least.
Doc, I'm glad you've calmed down. I was genuinely impressed with your NVA2. The extra power supplies made all the difference. I couldn't judge the NVA1 as accuratly as I'd hoped because as you know, the test track was jazz and I really don't like jazz. I did refer to this in the summary. I really would like to hear one with a genre I am familiar with.

I wholeheartedly recommend your NVA2 and at £700 for the unit and extra PSU I think it's a proper bargain. I will recommend it if someone is looking around that budget.

It's a great bit of kit.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

There are two threads on AoS. Posts are appearing and disappearing, very confusing.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66

Pleased you've calmed down Doc, hope you slept well, it was a bloody long drive. :grin:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 am I know Bigman made positive comments about NVA, but on the first read of his review of the day, I came away thinking the Firebottle won the day over both NVA phonos. Don't know why, maybe just his wording.
I would describe bigman's comments as 'carefully constructed'. Looking at everything I've read from him here, at AOS and at Audio Talk, I do believe that he is or has been 'attached', consciously or not, to the Firebottle products. In that respect, this has been an informative process. He has said he will be recommending the Phono 2, so I look forward to reading such on AOS. I'm happy to revise my opinions going forward if there is evidence of clear reason to do so.

Of the feedback I have seen so far, I would give most weight to the views of Nick, Lindsayt and David. Worth remembering that the last has had a fair amount of challenges from here (rightly so in respect to specific actions), and, as a dealer, might be perceived to have an interest in disliking the NVA kit. Nick and Lindsayt are experienced and expert both technically and subjectively.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

hillsanddalesrover

Unread post by hillsanddalesrover »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 am
Of the feedback I have seen so far, I would give most weight to the views of Nick, Lindsayt and David. Worth remembering that the last has had a fair amount of challenges from here (rightly so in respect to specific actions), and, as a dealer, might be perceived to have an interest in disliking the NVA kit. Nick and Lindsayt are experienced and expert both technically and subjectively.
Is that not inverse Ad Hominen ? :lol:

antonio66

Well, I've just read both Audio Talk and AoS threads, one gives a realistic assessment of the result and the other is a shill for Firebottle. :roll:
Last edited by antonio66 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ad Hom - Yes, but there has to be some flexibility, you have to look at and for the motivation in the ad hominem.

This is why you have an adjudicator in debates, or a speaker in the Parliament, or an admin on forums.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:16 am Well, I've just read both Audio Talk and AoS threads, one gives a realistic assessment of the result and the other is a shill for Firebottle.
Bigman has the ability to correct that at AOS...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/