LP12

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: LP12

Unread post by karatestu »

I was / am getting some strange interference noises like rustles, pops and tapping noises when both playing and not playing a record.

Thought it could be an intermittent earthing problem or something. Wrong again :roll: It is my bloody phone. Took a pic last night of my Argo from the side and uploaded it to imgur whilst the phone was still very close to the TT and phono stage.

The noises went flipping crazy and once I had twigged what was going on I moved my phone around near the phono1 which has lid off. I am almost 100% sure that is the culprit. Sending a signal from the phone makes the noise worse.

Non of my equipment except the cdp is in a metal case and that has the lid permanently off at the moment- lid won't actually go on presently but that's a different matter.

Makes me think the phono amp board and regulators should go in a metal case (Naim shoebox :lol: ). And if that is picking up RFI then what else is ? Makes you wonder.

Summat else to worry about :hand:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:19 am I was / am getting some strange interference noises like rustles, pops and tapping noises when both playing and not playing a record.

Thought it could be an intermittent earthing problem or something. Wrong again :roll: It is my bloody phone. Took a pic last night of my Argo from the side and uploaded it to imgur whilst the phone was still very close to the TT and phono stage.

The noises went flipping crazy and once I had twigged what was going on I moved my phone around near the phono1 which has lid off. I am almost 100% sure that is the culprit. Sending a signal from the phone makes the noise worse.

Non of my equipment except the cdp is in a metal case and that has the lid permanently off at the moment- lid won't actually go on presently but that's a different matter.

Makes me think the phono amp board and regulators should go in a metal case (Naim shoebox :lol: ). And if that is picking up RFI then what else is ? Makes you wonder.

What phone are you using?
My old Nokia phones used to cause interference but I have never noticed it with an iPhone.

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:57 am
karatestu wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:19 am I was / am getting some strange interference noises like rustles, pops and tapping noises when both playing and not playing a record.

My old Nokia phones used to cause interference but I have never noticed it with an iPhone.
Geoff, it's a Samsung A13 smartphone.
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:28 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:57 am

Geoff, it's a Samsung A13 smartphone.
I find that surprising but then if you have no RF screening there is nothing to stop it.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lots in the archive about the Phono 1 & 2, in this regard. They are made without RF shielding. Richard believed that letting EMF out of the case was a bigger gain than stopping RF coming in. I usually turn off my mobile phone when I'm listening to LPs, and I keep the P2 head unit away from digital sources..

You could wrap the case in tin foil, as an experiment, to see if it keeps out the mobile signal. See which you prefer.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If some tin foil stops it use some guitar pickup shielding tape for a less conspiracy theorist hat style solution. I have some 4 inch wide tape for this somewhere
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:18 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:06 pm If some tin foil stops it use some guitar pickup shielding tape for a less conspiracy theorist hat style solution. I have some 4 inch wide tape for this somewhere
Richard and Tom did some experiments with applying this to the underside of the lid. I preferred the sound without, but others may prefer the convenience of RF shielding.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I shielded my Phono 2 completely with copper guitar shielding tape. I found it made little difference, so I removed it all and now keep the poxy mobile phone out of my listening room - much better! :grin:
These users thanked the author Alfi for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:03 pm) • savvypaul (Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:22 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:00 pm I shielded my Phono 2 completely with copper guitar shielding tape. I found it made little difference, so I removed it all and now keep the poxy mobile phone out of my listening room - much better! :grin:
Hello John :dance:

I wish I could stop all this mobile phone and WiFi malarkey but I've got two kids who are bloody attached to one device or another.

My hifi is at the family farm and there is no WiFi router here just 4G mobile. I hate to think what happens when I finally get it home.

Loving your in soles by the way :guiness; Best thing to happen to a LP12 in 50 years.
DIY FREE ZONE

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

If i put my phone (old samsung galaxy) in front of my DAC, it will pick up noises (whistles and scratches) and transfer them into the AP70 sitting next to it. This is on my work desk, so this DAC also has an intel NUC next to it and 2 monitors above it, so it's in a noise rich environment, but still the phone causes interference in an otherwise mainly noise free environment. If i put the phone ON the AP70, it goes away. I leave Wifi turned off on my phone, it's not that.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
karatestu (Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:55 am)