LP12

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: LP12

Unread post by karatestu »

Playing Aerosmith- Toys in the attic. Bloody hell this is loads better than the CD ..more dynamic, clearer bass parts can be heard that I didn't know existed on walk this way.

Things to do sound a bit rough though. This is going to be a long painful road to fruition. I haven't a strobe so speed could be off although I can't detect it.

As far as speed stability goes I don't detect any problems but then I don't listen to solo piano . Mostly rock, pop, jazz, funky stuff, electronic music

There is something very appealing about this vinyl lark. No way am I giving up on vinyl after this little reminder. 10.years have passed since my son started wrecking stuff and it got packed away.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If it's not the most tuneful, musical sounding vinyl source in the world, apart from other higher spec LP12's it's not been set up right. :liar:

What stand have you got it on and how far from the speakers?

When you say rough, is that from mis-tracking from a dirty or worn stylus tip?
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:48 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:42 pm If it's not the most tuneful, musical sounding vinyl source in the world, apart from other higher spec LP12's it's not been set up right. :liar:

What stand have you got it on and how far from the speakers?

When you say rough, is that from mis-tracking from a dirty or worn stylus tip?
It's on my home made stand made out of fence posts and chipboard. I put the top level of a quadraspire reference table (the one with concave sides and front and hole in the middle) on top of that. It has spikes for levelling. Speakers aren't far away but they are decoupled from the floor with inner tubes.

I am not sure what I meant by rough. Something is not quite right. I am a total know nothing when it comes to turntables. In the twelve years I used this deck from 2000 to 2012 Andrew from Audio Republic did everything on it.

It is about time I learned what I am doing with turntables. I haven't touched the cartridge. The vta might be out if the platter is running higher or lower than it was since fitting the in sole spring replacements.

Stylus tip is probably very dirty. I don't know what some of these records should sound like. The never played Marvin Gaye ones I have played sound awesome if occasionally a bit bass heavy.

TT is in the corner with the speakers across the corner (ie each is against a different wall). Maybe not ideal.
DIY FREE ZONE

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Talking to Trevor at House of Fruitbox and he was telling me that the original parts he took off of mine during the "upgrades" will actually fetch a good bit of money ... If I can get them on the bay of E, they might finance a volumio PC

karatestu
Great Britain

Apparently the Rubikon sub chassis will not accept a karousel bearing :roll: Not that I want one but it will lower its value as the sheep "upgrade" to the new bearing.

Plus this Aro version won't even accept an aro :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Move the transformer and caps of the phono 1 to a separate box and place that well away from the PCB .

Better still larger power supply and caps
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:19 pm)

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

That is a little unfair to us "sheep" !😞

The sonic difference between the Valhalla bearing and the Karousel is jaw dropping - the Karousel is so much better. Once you have done a bake off between the two it really is a"no brainer" upgrade.
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:26 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 pm Move the transformer and caps of the phono 1 to a separate box and place that well away from the PCB .

Better still larger power supply and caps
Siting the psu part remotely has always been on my to do list but it's a very long to do list and vinyl has not been at the top. Watch this space.

I even thought of making something like the naim prefix phono stage. That is actually fitted in the turntable with very short wires from the arm base. It would need the last pair of caps and the regulators in there too with the transformer, rectifiers and first smoothing caps in a box sited remotely.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:27 pm Playing Aerosmith- Toys in the attic.

As far as speed stability goes I don't detect any problems but then I don't listen to solo piano .

How did it sound on the last track? I think this is a decent test and have found digital to score over vinyl.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

TheRealAleman wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:20 pm That is a little unfair to us "sheep" !😞

The sonic difference between the Valhalla bearing and the Karousel is jaw dropping - the Karousel is so much better. Once you have done a bake off between the two it really is a"no brainer" upgrade.
My apologies. It is just part of the gentle fun we poke at linn and naim owners here. Oh wait a minute, that would be me. I have a LP12, lingo, Naim cd3.5, two hicaps, two nap140's, a nac72, a stageline and god knows what else. Shoot me now.

I just refuse to pay Linn and Naim prices these days. Added to that olive Naim amps sound like a nail being scraped along a blackboard.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
TheRealAleman (Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:33 am)
DIY FREE ZONE